Your Go-To Glass Repair Resin? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Resins come in many shapes and sizes. (and prices.)

What is your go-to or a few brands/products in particular you feel like are trustworthy and hold up long term for chip or crack repair? Have you ever had a repair done and asked the tech what resin they use? And does an average Joe just go buy the Harbor Freight Special "clear epoxy" and send it in those cracks, or should he just stick to a brand name like RainX or Permatex.
Which do you feel like stay clear the longest, and don't become hazy or opaque?

Feel free, also, to share kits or tools for glass/windshield repair you have had good or even bad results with.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have used Permatex brand with good results. I have never had a repair change over time.

I have used Permatex brand with good results. I have never had a repair change over time.
Permatex worked well in my instances! I would say RainX's product also gave similar results.

have had good luck w/blue star

have had good luck w/blue star
Would you believe I've never heard of Blue Star..? Never even seen it searching for kits and individual resins for sale. When was the last time you used it? Was it relatively expensive + how bad of a crack or chip? (I feel like I'm a product sales analyst.. hahaha)

Would you believe I've never heard of Blue Star..? Never even seen it searching for kits and individual resins for sale. When was the last time you used it? Was it relatively expensive + how bad of a crack or chip? (I feel like I'm a product sales analyst.. hahaha)
ive used it twice and last time was maybe 2021? i want to say i paid maybe 10 bucks? 15? i dont quite recall. and chip wise it was maybe just under a quarter size. cant tell its there anymore, unless i look really really close.

ive used it twice and last time was maybe 2021? i want to say i paid maybe 10 bucks? 15? i dont quite recall. and chip wise it was maybe just under a quarter size. cant tell its there anymore, unless i look really really close.
I just looked it up and I can't find any "for sale" but I see old listings. Hair's not grey enough to know about it I guess.. Hahaha ;)
Looks like it's what the Permatex kit is now, with the big plunger syringe tool and the sticky pad base. If that's what that kit basically was, I'd say it works great for chips. I had a hard time using that design for cracks or irregular shaped glass damage, but the fact that it makes a vacuum of sorts really helps make an invisible repair, especially on chips.

I just looked it up and I can't find any "for sale" but I see old listings. Hair's not grey enough to know about it I guess.. Hahaha ;)
Looks like it's what the Permatex kit is now, with the big plunger syringe tool and the sticky pad base. If that's what that kit basically was, I'd say it works great for chips. I had a hard time using that design for cracks or irregular shaped glass damage, but the fact that it makes a vacuum of sorts really helps make an invisible repair, especially on chips.
aint no way they dont make it no more 💀fact of the matter isim young and they already discontinued it. no grey hairs here

aint no way they dont make it no more 💀fact of the matter isim young and they already discontinued it. no grey hairs here
Funny enough I looked into it, looks like it's been a thing since the 80's.
I'm biased but I bet it's a better product just because of that... Stuff made in the 80's is either hit or miss (IMO)
Maybe it's just more popular out on your side of the country? Hahahaha. Let me order one from you LOL

Funny enough I looked into it, looks like it's been a thing since the 80's.
I'm biased but I bet it's a better product just because of that... Stuff made in the 80's is either hit or miss (IMO)
Maybe it's just more popular out on your side of the country? Hahahaha. Let me order one from you LOL
lol i only got one left so aint for sale haha! that said, true that to 80s stuff bing good!

I was going to suggest checking prices at local autoglass shops but just saw something disturbing.

Safelite (not my first pick but my first pick won't do an online chip repair estimate) wants $160 to repair one chip... and they recommend getting new wiper blades, which they will gladly sell to you for an addt'l $65!

I could have sworn it wasn't that long ago that a chip repair cost $25, but time flies, can't even remember what year that was.

Mines not the cheapest, but it’s the easiest. I call my insurance company, and they come out and replace the windshield for $50.

Mines not the cheapest, but it’s the easiest. I call my insurance company, and they come out and replace the windshield for $50.
Unfortunately, not all policies will do this. And a lot won't do long cracks, if it is repair vs replace. That is why I found it substantial to discuss kits and resin. Additionally not all states require insurance that will cover things like windshield damage, and, not everyone needs to repair chips or cracks or replace windshields or other window glass on vehicles that are even currently on the road.
I was going to suggest checking prices at local autoglass shops but just saw something disturbing.

Safelite (not my first pick but my first pick won't do an online chip repair estimate) wants $160 to repair one chip... and they recommend getting new wiper blades, which they will gladly sell to you for an addt'l $65!

I could have sworn it wasn't that long ago that a chip repair cost $25, but time flies, can't even remember what year that was.
It's VERY disturbing the cost of a repair now. Considering I can go pick up an entire windshield for 150$. Not to mention the extra costs per month for having that coverage included!

Unfortunately, not all policies will do this. And a lot won't do long cracks, if it is repair vs replace. That is why I found it substantial to discuss kits and resin. Additionally not all states require insurance that will cover things like windshield damage, and, not everyone needs to repair chips or cracks or replace windshields or other window glass on vehicles that are even currently on the road.

It's VERY disturbing the cost of a repair now. Considering I can go pick up an entire windshield for 150$. Not to mention the extra costs per month for having that coverage included!
I don’t notice the few dollars a month. I’d notice a pain in my ass having to arrange and pay for having a windshield replaced out of pocket. Plus, I never have to deal with a patched windshield, which will most likely crack in a few years, anyways.

I don’t notice the few dollars a month. I’d notice a pain in my ass having to arrange and pay for having a windshield replaced out of pocket. Plus, I never have to deal with a patched windshield, which will most likely crack in a few years, anyways.
Unfortunately, I've seen firsthand and of course many examples of secondhand proof that if the repair is done properly, they do not continue to crack. Even large cracks. There are standards on how large a crack must be to affect the structural integrity of the windshield, also, and once they are that large, no question about throwing it away and getting a new one.
I'm glad you don't notice the difference, because I sure would! You obviously do not want to do it yourself or I guess pay for a repair out of pocket that isn't a replacement. However, me, personally, I don't trust having it done by anyone but myself considering the atrocities I've seen from leaking re-sealed windshields or damaged paint resulting in rust that you can't see until you need to add new material to the windshield seams. Truth is, I would rather not have my windshield replaced at all if I can avoid it. Every time it's being replaced that's one more chance for someone to not seal it properly or damage something on the way in and out. That is the WORST. Not a fun time. How often does a windshield get replaced? Not very often unless you like replacing them, I suppose.
I wouldn't mind paying a couple bucks a month if I encountered lots of situations where it was highly likely I'd get a chip, like lots of freeway or highway driving. Most people I know who have trucks or SUVs like an Explorer tend to not use them for that use very frequently though, I know I don't. So since I don't have to wonder about getting a chip as a likely occurrence, and since a windshield is about $150, it doesn't make sense for me personally to pay that much. I also like the added benefit of learning a new skill on a repair if it has to be done, but I am very inclined in that way, some are not. And not to mention, my insurance policy for example does not cover windshield damage. If I intend to keep a vehicle, say my 97, for another 10 years.. That's another 10 years of bonus cost insurance. How often do I get a chip or crack? Well if it's 25 years old, looks like once every 25 years if I had to deal with one right now. The math doesn't add up $150 every 25 years or how much nickel and diming over the span of 25 years? -- I like to have a savings for repairs like that, if the whole windshield must be replaced. But I am not the type who would jump to replace a windshield in the first place.. Since the aforementioned horrors I've seen.
And that is why I made the topic of "which resin is your go-to" not "which insurance policy is your go-to" or "what is your favorite part of replacing your windshield?" ;) I'm trying to see what people like as far as when it comes to repairing cracks/chips themselves or paying a pro to repair a crack/chip, and what they may use for example. But I do appreciate the discussion of how you handle your chips.
And it is worth mentioning -- not all chips turn into cracks or even begin to crack. Most of the time the same kind of resin (as in what the topic is in this thread) is used to fill those imperfections, so, in that instance.. The windshield was never going to "continue to crack" or "need to be replaced" anyway.

Cool.

Just sharing some info and experience. It seems like you didn't know much about glass repair; nothing wrong with that. Thought I'd share some info since truly most people don't, and since this is a thread about glass repair. It is really uncommon to experience Edit: major, as in actually warrants a repair whatsoever vs just being a cosmetic defect/against DOT* cracks and chips to begin with and most people don't even know it can be repaired viably without needing to be worked on again. I know I sure as hell didn't know about it until recently when I started learning about it. The more you know I guess lol

You just don’t agree with what I think/know of glass repair. Totally fine.

Fixing a chip is fine. I think fixing a crack is ridiculous. Nothing makes a car look more busted than a crack in the windshield.

If that’s what you’re into, cool.

You just don’t agree with what I think/know of glass repair. Totally fine.

Fixing a chip is fine. I think fixing a crack is ridiculous. Nothing makes a car look more busted than a crack in the windshield.

If that’s what you’re into, cool.
That's all good! Stay on topic though, or else what's the point of a forum at all, right? ;)
Thankfully for the sake of organization in a forum, I made a thread about windshield replacement and which insurance policies work and for who, since mine does not offer repair or replacement. You can talk about that subject there!
You also still don't seem to know how a repaired crack looks--or should I say doesn't look. It is possible maybe you are just bad at applying a repair yourself, but since you said you don't bother with it, it's not conclusive. At any rate it isn't easy, you do have to have some skill and patience when it comes to this, not just anyone can repair a crack in the windshield or other automotive glass. While I have successfully repaired many cracks and chips, and even used these kits for repairing other types of glass such as fish tank glass and 6 over 6 window glass, some things are best left to pros or buddies that you really really trust.
So let me take a second to thank you for giving me a chance to spread some good information and awareness for anyone who may otherwise think their windshield or auto glass is in need of replacement when it actually probably isn't thanks to the modern convenience of glass repair via resin and consumer available applicators of said resin. If it weren't for you, I wouldn't really need to explain this, so props for that, since I love this topic.
If you're already tired of reading, here! Hope that helped.

An automotive glass repair done right is nearly invisible; light does not hit the crack and reflect off, it is simply ever so slightly more opaque than the regular glass. No fault to you or anyone else who does not know much about automotive glass repair. You, for example, don't get repairs done you just have replacements done, so you would not really know how invisible they become when simply repaired vs replaced.

What this does mean though is you've probably seen hundreds of repaired windshields, with cracks, and never noticed. Why? Because they're repaired: the repairs are realistically invisible, which is what makes them legal especially when in line-of-sight of a driver. A repaired crack, especially one that has been end-drilled will not continue to spread under most circumstances, and will not interfere with vision because the crack has gone from reflective to transparent as it is filled with transparent resin. A correctly repaired chip will not spread, either, and is also virtually invisible; does not interfere with a driver's line of sight, making it legal and viable. So unfortunately, although you may think fixing a crack because "a crack in the windshield makes a car look busted," thankfully it can be remedied! A crack can have existed, but as long as it is full of automotive glass resin which has been properly applied, it is no longer seen as a cracked piece of automotive glass. I think, though, on a truck windshield a crack or six adds character, though, myself. Keeps you on your toes when you're driving by regular police parking spots.

From Safelite's Website: Examples of Automotive Glass Repairs, Before and After
cosmetic-repair.jpg

That does not mean that a properly repaired cracked windshield that was beyond a legal crack length limit prior to repair is not up for debate in a court of law perhaps for structural integrity, or that having a repaired crack longer than DOT / legal limit is a good idea in the first place for say safety/structural reasons, even though it would be in practice nearly invisible and therefore visually legal while technically structurally in the realm of illegal, but that is up for debate, apparently even for those who have liability on their backs and are regularly deployed by insurance companies to come solve your automotive glass woes:
Safelite--An Auto Glass Repair Company's Website said:
So I suppose it is fair to just air on the side of accepting a crack or chip can be repaired and be made structurally sound. If they're wrong, I guess you get to sue them. Sounds like a win to me if that's what you're into.

And not to mention -- it goes without saying -- not all repairs done with a "windshield"/glass repair kit has to be limited to a vehicle that even sees the road at all, or a windshield, or even a vehicle.. This thread is for talking about resin and kits, not windshield replacement vs windshield repair as a debate topic. "Windshield" is not even in the original post, anywhere.

Let's all get back on topic, now.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Again, cool.

Back