• Register Today It's free!

2wd swap

98svt

Reaction score
City, State
tampa florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 xlt 5.0 awd
looking to go to 2wd......what do i need for parts, what do i need that comes stock and what do i need to get elsewhere? thanks for any help

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

almost forgot....what frontend suspension is needed?? thanks

well i dont mean to discourage u but it will prolly be easier to jsut buy a 2wd explorer............

yes it is poosible to do the 2wd conersion ur best bet is to find some oen thats converted from 2wd to 4wd or from 2wd to solid axle..........................

PEACE

also wut mods u got to make u get 350 HP ???

You need:

2WD spindles (plus abs sensors)
2WD driveshaft
EDIT: You'll probably need rotors calipers too (I forgot)

& either a 2WD tranny tailshaft housing
or
A 2WD tranny

Thats it.

To change the tailshaft housing the output shaft will need to come out. Not something you can really do on your own (most people at least).

EDIT: I actually have all the parts, but scramblin has dibs on the tranny and some other guy is supposed to pay me for the driveshaft. But I'll let you know what does/doesn't happen.

98 5.0 350hp 385tq
I am gonna have to go with Kid on this one. Do you have a post or thread somewhere showing your engine mods? If not, please start one. I would like to hear what you got in there for the extra +/- 140 horses.

Thanks!

Robb

i am going 4x4, i can sell you all of my crap, it will be a month or two before i change out the tranny

thanks for all the help....its gunna be a couple of months before i do it anyway b/c im having a house built so i have to much to do till then but im looing for all the peices i will need for this puzzle, so any help is more than appriciated......as for the power i dont really have a write-up on it or anything b/c im new here i dont really know what to put in it... but the motor, as far as i can rememver, is a 347, custom cam(ill have to find the spec sheet for yall) ported and pollised trick flow heads with 2.02, 1.60 valves, trick flow 75 mm upper and lower intake, 30lb injectors, better fuel pump, bbk 75mm throttle body, 80mm mass air meter....and various other things....ill have to find all the reciepts from biulding it but thats all the major parts i used....i got the numbers i posted from the motor dyno....the motor alone made 366hp and about 390 ft lbs or torque.... so without headers used on the dyno and few other variable such as intake temp that was variable in the dyno shop i just basically guess that it makes about 350 hp and 385 ft lbs IN the truck....but im safe to say its somewhere between 340 and 366 hp IN the truck....the tranny in the original but was rebiult a liitle tuffer when the motor was out, and the transfer case is stock and hopefully on its way out of the truck to make room for 2wd....sorry for the long reply, everyone has asked me to post a write up on the motor but i just didnt realy now what to write and ill have to find all my paper work on it to tell you for sure, but what i have written is whats on the motor off the top of my head ....illl post a better write up on it when i have everything in order here....to sum up all this it was a waste of time and money b/c the truck still feels like a fat hog....for what it is, it should be much, much faster....so good luck with your x's and sorry again for the long post....and thanks for the help...

You could convert to 2wd without having change out any front suspension parts.

You simply have to take apart a half shaft, and only use the outer CV "cup" to hold together the hub assembly. The diff and front driveshaft can then be removed. See attached picture.

Then all you have left to change are the Tranny and rear driveshaft.

Attachments

• 2wd.jpg
    2wd.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 3,597

hey jefe, did you do the same for the passenger side....and thanks for the pic....i was hoping i could do something like that to aviod replacing everything in the front end...

Originally posted by 98svt
hey jefe, did you do the same for the passenger side....and thanks for the pic....i was hoping i could do something like that to aviod replacing everything in the front end...
yes both sides are the same. I had to take out the diff because of a half shaft failure. I'm doing a SAS in a month or so, so I'll just be running like this for a month.

Is it safe to take out the CVs and halfshafts, replace the spindles and rotors and everything with 2WD components, and leave the t-case in and not mess with the tranny or driveshaft?

hey hartman i wouldnt do that...ii dont know alot about the new transfercases but the 70's transfercases that were called (new process) would not owrk if the front drive shaft was removed....im sure some0one on here has tryed that with the x transfercase so they would no more but i wouldnt leave it in the truck if you want 2wd....hope this helps ya....good luck...

Well if I'm in 2WD the t-case would be irrelevant anyway right?

im sorry i didnt read you right....to answer your question right this time i would say that yes you could do that IF you have a part time 4 wheel drive system....i thought you were talking about a awd system in which case you sould not do that....but you need to chech your front drive shaft....if it slips into your transfer case then you will be loosing fluid as you drive...but it it just bolts to the transfer case then you should be able to do it b/c you wouldnt be loosing fluid....so good luck.....

Back