• Register Today It's free!

Help Broken Power Windows

eurolover123

Reaction score
City, State
Reseda CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 Explorer Limited
The rear power windows on my 04 explorer stopped working. I noticed they would work intermittently for a few weeks, but then they stopped working completely. The right rear stopped working first then the left rear went out about a week later.

I replaced the front driver side main power switch and nothing. I checked all of the wiring in the front driver door and rear doors and didn't find any cracks or anything abnormal. When i pressed the up/down switch i could hear a faint "tick" coming from the rear window motors. There is power at the rear switches so I replaced one of the rear motors with a re-manufactured motor from ford and it worked great...for about a week and then stopped working again!

Do you guys think it is just a coincidence and I got a bad motor from ford? or do you guys think there is something that is causing the motors to burn out? I don't want to get new motors for the rear windows and have the same thing happen. Let me know what you think.

thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Here is a great link for troubleshooting the power windows, thanks to theofam for this great link Dead Link Removed

It's for a '02 but should help you out. I would download it then you will always have it for reference.

Could also be related to a broken/damaged wire(s) in the boot between the driver's door and the body. I know you said you checked the wires in the door but did you check them in the boot?

Here is a great thread for checking for broken/damaged wires, thanks to synyster for this awesome write-up: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums//showthread.php?t=270081

Hope this helps out. :biggthump

So i have torn my car apart. Checked every wire in the door and boot. No breaks or cracks.

I have ran direct power to the motors and they work fine. The windows have worked randomly but now a new problem has started....I started my car and the front driver window rolled down on its own and wont go back up. (had to connect direct power from the battery to get it back up) When the car is on the window motor gets very hot, so it seems like there is now constant power going to the motor even though its all the way down already.

I already changed the master switch so i dont know what else it could be. Any ideas???

I looked at the wiring diagram and it appears that the window wiring is routed through the Vehicle Security module. Could the VSM possibly be causing the problem?

Welcome aboard eurolover123!! :salute:

Sounds like it may be the motor, or the wiring to the motor. But who the hell knows? :dunno: Electrical troubleshooting is like the needle in the haystack. That's why I recommend the trouble shooting procedures from the shop manual. Did you do any of the troubleshooting procedures?

Here is a great link for troubleshooting the power windows, thanks to theofam for this great link Dead Link Removed

Back