RetroFitted Headlights - need your opinion | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

RetroFitted Headlights - need your opinion

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thumbs up or down..

Would a clear headlamp look good or cheesy on a platinum white explorer? I am getting retrofitted and thinking of having the ambers removed..

Thoughts..

Like these but on a Platinum White Limited

http://www.lightwerkz.net/photo/kri...-projector-conversion-led-upgrades-black-out/

Thanks

I think it would look good with the ambers removed. Additional question to ask yourself is if you want the signal housing area to be painted black (like in the example you provided) or keep it chrome.

Being that you have a White Limited, I think they look equally good either way. Although I painted my signal and side marker housing black, I have an extra set of head lights with the chrome housing to switch to whenever I'm in the mood. I also have a third set of headlights where I painted the entire housing to match the metallic gray of the mesh portion of the Sport Grille.

At any rate, no amber lenses are to me the better option.

If it were me, I'd leave the turn/parking lights amber. I think the amber would stand out much better when the lights are on since they would be of a contrasting colour and therefore easier to see. In my opinion.;)

Peter

I like the ambers.
How much for all the mods?

Generally I don't like amber colors in headlight housings, but they seem to work on the Ex. Probably because they are over the headlight and look like a brow.

If I removed the amber, I'd go chrome personally. That's what I did with my Saab and it just works for me. Some Saab owners blacked it out but I personally like the chrome.

If I were to do a change, I'd be looking for angle eyes or some form of LED strip. I've seen what's out there. Nothing jumping out at me right now, but when the car is a few years older I may feel like sprucing it up.

If you remove the ambers make sure you install amber bulbs. It won't pass inspection when blinkers a re clear.

If you remove the ambers make sure you install amber bulbs. It won't pass inspection when blinkers a re clear.

Its the vleds switchback, so it comes on amber when the blinkers are on but clear on DRL.

From the looks of it I was considering blacking it out because black kinda flows with the other vehicle parts.

I like the ambers.
How much for all the mods?

total is 1400, 2/3 of it is labor.

Its the vleds switchback, so it comes on amber when the blinkers are on but clear on DRL.

From the looks of it I was considering blacking it out because black kinda flows with the other vehicle parts.

total is 1400, 2/3 of it is labor.

That was the call I had to make with my Saab, which is jet black and as the Aero has no chrome trim except on the grill.

I had seen the black and chrome in pics on the Saab forum and went with the chrome and really like it.

With the Ex XLT/Limited there are chrome accents around the vehicle. I guess the call is whether it would be too much chrome or would compliment it. Your call for you personally. Can't go wrong if you like it.

If I had smoked out headlights then I would go black.

...looks like it will be awesome with a white Ex...:thumbsup:

prob white instead of black would be great as well.
ask if they will try a mock up with plastidip or something fast.

then paint the rocker panels white as we have seen on here,
real sharp.

please post a pic of your invoice too lol

Good choice. I like how they look on the blue, and think they will look even better against the white, or black.

Good choice. I like how they look on the blue, and think they will look even better against the white, or black.

Thanks Mike & thank you everyone. I'll post pics as soon as I can - quite excited

FB_IMG_1424818817665_zpsyrrej7vl.jpg

I'll upload more but here is the first pic.

Great looks and even better performance, what else would you want ? Ford Explorer with Morimoto FXR Bixenons, 5500k xb35 bulbs, 50w xb55 ballasts, XB LED Fogs. [MENTION=157284]the[/MENTION]retrofitsource V3 Triton switchbacks and matching parking light bulbs by @vleds

Looking good any pics with lights turned off?

ohhhhhh nice

looks like they would have been nice w/ white too, real nice

Looks really good with the white Ex

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back