NEX: Wheeling Southern NH April '09 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

NEX: Wheeling Southern NH April '09

DeRocha

NEX Vice President
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Brockton, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XLT 4x4
Event date: Saturday 4/18 11am-Midafternoon updated 4/9/09

Upcoming wheeling in Southern New Hampshire. The date is TBD but will be within the next 3-4 weeks. See Fred's I'm Back thread for pics from our 3/21/09 trip. If you want to go post up here. Also make sure you add yourself to the NEX: Wheeling Announcement thread so you can stay on top of any club events.

Members who have not been out with NEX should indicate their vehicle and Off-Road experience :p: Location specifics have been omitted to preserve the area. Details will be made available to club members who attend the event.

Suggested Equipment:

• CB Radio
  • Front and Rear Tow Points
  • Fire Extinguisher (ABC)
  • Flash light
  • Water/dry food
  • Basic tool kit
  • Spare tire (make sure its aired up)
Also read Gerald Jarrett's 4x4 equipment list for additional suggestions.

As for group recovery equipment I carry a 40K lb tow strap, a 3 ton Power Puller, chokers, "D" shackles, Tree Saver, Highlift, axe and shovel.

Who's in:
  • FourXFred
  • DeRocha
  • Nick26

Maybe in:
  • bigdedition

Out:
  • Raminator157 :( (working can't make it)
  • off_road_Rusty :( (busy Wedding)
  • Grrlwronged :( (busy Metal Fest)
  • SoBeLover :( (Mechanical problems & Needed a ride)
  • medicbro2000 :( (working OT)
  • JimBow (DeRocha's friend, U-joint & axle issues)

Previous Southern NH Runs: :exp:
Nov 2003 July 2004 March 2009

Meeting info:
Click Thumbnail for full size iimage
Milford_NH_Meeting_Area_Small_.jpg

Walmart
85 State Route 101A
Amherst, NH 03031

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Will this, and most of the outings be a day event or longer? Im sure you will probably notify and be more specific as it comes closer, but for this upcoming one, just a day event? What time span do you guys usually run- whole day-like up early home late kind of thing??

It is definitely a single day event, but as for exact hours it all depends on who goes and the type of vehicles they bring. We generally want to meet up around 10am and wheel for 3-4hrs. We can figure out before hand what to do about lunch/food on the trail. Last weekend Fred and I wheeled for a little over 3hrs.

I am gonna keep my eye on this.. i would love to make it if i can.. when we start picking dates ill know better! I still haven't wheeled with you guys yet!

(Note to self: Remember one of these days to sneak back to a wheeling trip Matt is on...then meet him out on the trail in his own truck.)

Im with Rusty. Let me know the date as soon as you can. Im fairly certain I'll be able to go regardless. My schedule is pretty flexible. Im looking forward to this.... April is less than a week away....which means better weather for us up here is on the way. I dont know about the rest of you guys, but there is still a poopload of snow up here in Ludlow VT. Trails are a bit mushy and snow covered, and some places I can't get to because of huge snow banks blocking the entrance. Call me crazy :crazy: but I just don't feel like teeter toddering my ranger on top of one of these crusty snow banks, so I'm in for heading a little distance south where the snow is fairly well gone....

So anyway, count me AS IN

CATCH ya'll later!

At least the sap is flowing well! :)

I've added a section on previous Southern NH Runs in the 1st post.

Whether or not I come depends on Jen, if she comes, I'll ask if I can ride with her. I won't take my Explorer because I found out that the reason my truck is eating so much gas is that my O2 sensors are shot, and with me being unemployed, I'm going to have to put the money aside for new ones, but my brother and Jennie's boyfriend will install them for me.

I remember the last time I tried to go on this trip to New Hampshire, it was after Thanksgiving of 2003, I lost a rear wheel off my 92 Sport on I-84 outside Sturbridge, MA doing 65 MPH after my brother didn't wrench the lug nuts tight enough.

I can't even ask my brother to take me on this trip. His Ranger's tranny bit it and he got rid of it and is driving a Mazda Protege now

At least the sap is flowing well! :)

Yes yes, its making a good season.. but them temps havent been constant yet which is kind of a pain. Oh well..... waffles anyone???:D

Depending on what day I'm interested but don't know if I'll use my truck to hit the trails (not quite trail rig ready & sans fuel pump at the moment) so I might need a spare seat.

Okay... we need to start picking dates; I can't make it on the 25th, but April 4, 11, 18 are open for me..

Okay... we need to start picking dates; I can't make it on the 25th, but April 4, 11, 18 are open for me..

are we considering sundays too? The 4th is kind of iffy for me, i could probably go but I might have to leave somewhat early (3ish). otherwise all the other dates, including sundays are fine with me.

Hey guys,

I got some bad news... Looks like my attendance will be on hold for Aprils outing for now.... I have discovered some not so good things happening underneath my truck. While switching out spares and trying to tighten up my rear bumper- I found that the frame has rotted where the bumper attaches making a remount near impossible without some extra bracing... well that wasn't all I found....

Upon further investigation, I noticed several cracks in the frame just a short distance up from the rear- but not only that- the upper shock mount on the drivers side rear is starting to pull away from the frame.

So right now I am going to have to keep myself off the trails until I get this thing taken care of- if possible. I am confident I will have it repaired within the next couple of weeks if all goes well, so I could be back on schedule for whenever the April trip is planned, but for now I'm going to have to wait. I have to do some investigating into the saveability right now and the options available.... but right now it looks like it is off to the welders! I'm thinking I may try to take some pictures but....

If anyone has any suggestions feel free to throw them out... otherwise its a waiting game. Its a shame especially with a 2000 with a beautiful body and only 95,000 miles.

Wish me luck!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey guys,

I got some bad news...

So good news...and not as good news. I met with my mechanic today and we took a look underneath. Not as bad as I expected. He seems to think the shock tower mounts will be okay and wont be too much of an issue- although should have it patched up. The cracks- also not a biggie as they are not large enough to cause a problem, just small cracks on the very edge. He seems to think the back edge of the frame could use some attention but is not at risk of leaving my back end behind anywhere.

The problem- the bumper. Probably will not be secure enough to stand or haul anything without some serious metal work- like welding on big plates to each side- WHICH IS DOABLE!!... with a little $$$CHA-CHING of course. I got quoted about $400 for a total refab including shocktowers/frame restore/patchwork rustremoval and repaint. Not bad I think, and with the rest of the condition of the truck and mileage- I think this would be a good investment. We scheduled the work to be done on the 16th of April- but its going to be a whole days event.

So it looks like I will be okay. :)I'll put myself back on the menu for an offroad run but I may have to run without a rear bumper. :rolleyes:

I posted an informative thread on the "Ranger Forum" for other Ranger owners to be aware of this problem.
The thread has a link in it from Car & Driver with other owners similar findings
If youre interested -> http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=241083

Back