No Mo Lo | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

No Mo Lo

aldive

Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLT
No Mo Lo for me. I have had it with the God-awful harsh ride from my lowered Explorer. Now don’t get me wrong, I loved the look and the handling of my truck since I added the X Spec lowering package several years ago. I use the truck in my business transporting people and scuba equipment and put a lot of miles on it each year.

I wanted to like it so much that “I” was blinded by the ride quality. Sure several friends repeatedly told me it “rides like crap” and other not so polite descriptions, but I ignored them because I wanted to like it so much.

Well, finally ( after several years and many comments, none good ) the crappy ride got to me. I decided to ditch the Edelbrock shocks in favor of Rancho 9000X shocks to improve the ride quality without removing the lowering; it worked ( to some extent ). The ride was immediately improved at least 100%, yet it was still rough and harsh.

Sadly, now all that could be done now was to restore the ride to stock height.

The truck was jacked up and put on jack stands. The 4 u bolts were unbolted and removed ( the rear end was supported with a floor jack ); thank God for air tools. The lowering blocks were removed ( and are for sale if anyone is interested, these are the good EE ones ). The U bolts were buggered up where they go around the blocks ( don’t ask me how, but they were, big time, so bad the nut wouldn’t even think about passing the bad area ). Finding new U bolts turned out to be an 8-hour undertaking; nobody, even two Ford dealers has any that would fit. I almost gave up but my son and I went to an “obsolete 4x4 and Jeep shop” in another County and while we were getting a part for the ’84 CJ7, I happened to see a huge selection of U bolts. They had the 4 that I needed and they are much beefier than the ones in the EE lowering kit. They were $ 19.75 each. This “free” mod just became an $85.00 mod.

The driver’s side measured 30.5 and the other side was 31.25 before removing the blocks – after removing, the driver’s side was 32 and the other side was 33.3 inches. The gas tank was half filled.

The 45-minute job turned into an all day project.

I decided not to do anything to the lowered front - yet. It measures on the driver’s side 30.5 and on the other side 31.5 inches.

After test-driving, the rear 9000x shock setting was determined to be “6” for the best ride and handling. I sincerely don’t believe the handling was degraded from the lowered version.

If I decide to keep the front lowered, I will have to to adjust the headlights. I have a thousand mile trip upcoming and will leave it like it is at least until that trip is over; who knows the nose down attitude might even improve mileage.

Conclusions: (1) even though I loved the look and handling of the lowered truck, the new ride quality is vastly supreme (2) I wouldn’t hit a wild dog in the arse with the Edelbrock shocks.

Even though the Explorer is a truck and rides like a truck, I forgot how nice it is; I am lo no mo.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i did a torsion twist and removed the blocks on my yota last week.... it rides so much better now... the front end was basically sitting on the bumpstops.... now i htink it is maxxed out the oterh way, but iat least it has some compression now.....

Wouldn't raising the rear, while keeping the front lowered, throw your headlight adjustment off?

And, you know, deep down, that the harsh ride wasn't caused by the rear. The rear suspension geometry never really changed from stock (outside of sway bar upgrade). The harsh ride is the result of the front. You know this...............

Sad and happy for you to raise it back up. Yes, as oppossed to stock, the lowered look is a nice look. But the comfort, that will be found again when put back to stock height, is a reward in itself. It should be like you bought a new ride.

So, yes, I am happy and sad to see your rig put back to stock height..................

Originally posted by Robb
Wouldn't raising the rear, while keeping the front lowered, throw your headlight adjustment off?

Indeed as I said in the post "If I decide to keep the front lowered, I will have to to adjust the headlights".

The rear suspension causes a bad ride too because it bottoms out, especially with weight in the rear.

Originally posted by aldive
Indeed as I said in the post "If I decide to keep the front lowered, I will have to to adjust the headlights".
DOH!! I read your first post incorrectly. Move to strike that question.;)

robb, your elite... just go to edit and delete ;) question will be strucked ;)

Originally posted by jimabena74
robb, your elite... just go to edit and delete ;) question will be strucked ;)
Hell, I am a MOD, I can shut the whole damn forum down for a few days if I was so determined.

BUT, I will just admit my error and move on.............:D

hehe... good point ;)

but if you did that, you would be wrongfully using and abusing your moderator powers ;)

LOL, Even Mods can't shut this forum down ;) Thats in Ricks hands :D

Al: Time for some 31's LOL

I lowered mine w/ the ARC shocks on... took off the front sensor, left the rear one on. It rides near-perfect. It is a little more harsh over big dips, but other then that it rides very very nicely for a lowered x. I have no complaints WHATSOEVER about ride quality after lowering. And I lowered it a 2-3" upfront. ~2 in the back.

And this just goes to show you that people dont always know what they're talking about even if they say they do b/c everyone said my ride would SUCK w/ the ARC shocks on. However very very very few people have ever lowered an explorer w/ ARC.

If you lived closer, I'd offer you a ride =P

yeah, the ride sucks

thats why they invented air springs- i hate driving mine at lower than stock height in the rear

You will say "yeah it rides great" when you first lower it, then you start to come to your senses after a while and realize that it is worse. Mine doesn't ride all that bad, I can definately handle it. I don't really have problems bottoming out unless I hit a rather large pothole. My main problem is that my rear leafs just don't like to move much. I think my shocks may be a little stiff overall, but the performance is good.

BTW hydroxy your air shocks will be destroyed in a matter of months so I would start shopping for regular shocks if I were you.

Originally posted by Hartman
BTW hydroxy your air shocks will be destroyed in a matter of months so I would start shopping for regular shocks if I were you.

howso? I dont think it would effect it that much... and they dont have to travel nearly as far as they did at normal hieght because I have very little sway. It isn't like I took out the torsion bolts and am relying on the shocks to keep me at my current level... I can defalte the shocks and it maintains height.

Back