• Register Today It's free!

200 amp alternator install

DirtMcGirt

Reaction score
City, State
Kennett Square, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT
is there a write up for installing an alternator? i just got a 200 amp alt. and need to know how to install!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

All you should have to do is:

1. Disconnect your battery cable
2. Disconnect all wires to your alternator
3. Remove bolts holding alternator
4. Remove stock alternator
5. Put new alternator in stock alternator's place
6. Replace bolts
7. Use a 3/8" wrench to move the (idler?) pulley and create slack in the belt.
8. Put belt over alternator pulley (and make sure it's still on all the other pulleys)
9. Reconnect wires
10. Start her up and make sure everything works

When I installed my 200 amp alternator it had a smaller pulley than stock, so I had to buy some spacers (and longer bolts) that I placed between the new alternator and the mount points, so that it lessened the slack in the belt. After that, everything worked fine.

oh ok, hmm i hope i dont have to do any modding at all.

How's that STi?

In a word, awesome. :D
2,300 miles on her now, so everything's getting pretty well broken in. Going to be putting a short-throw shifter in next.

nice, are u a good driver? cuz i know alot of guys who get WRX and STi's and are horrible drivers. Lemme know when u run it.

I wouldn't call myself an auto-x master or anything like that, but I can drive the car... Hopefully the car club at my school gets an auto-x set up this term and I can get some practice. Haven't taken it to the track yet, and I have spent almost no time on my launching technique. Only tried once and got the tires to chirp... I am still a little concerned about breaking something, but it seems like the drivetrain is pretty durable. This is only the second stick car I have driven. I used to drive a 5 speed prelude, for about 3 months. That was back in April of 2004.

Back