Derrick C.

Moderator Drinkin Corona
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Twin Falls, Idaho---------B.F.E.
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 XLT, 92 XL
I just installed a pair of 15" rockford HE2s and a RF1000a1 to power them. My ? is this. How many capacitors should I run? I've got 2 1 farad caps wired up already but the amp is still kicking my alternators a$$. I did order a 200 amp alternator but not hear yet. Oh by the way it hits hard enough to make all the gauges in my truck to go wacked out. Very loud!!

how long is the power wire between the amp and caps?
it should be six inches or less if they're not doing enough. did you charge them all the way? what brand are they?

They are rockford caps and were charged to full capacity. There probably only about 4 inches from the amp. I'm stumped on this but I'll figure it out some how.

A cap will not help with that problem. If you alternator can not supply the power there is nothing you can do except go to the larger alternator.
When buying a larger alternator there are a couple of thing you need to look at.
1 What is its hot rating. Which means what is the output at opperating temp. There are alot of cheap alternators out there that will say 200 amps cold but at operating temp its output could only be 100 amps.
2 What RPM does it put out top current. If you do alot of around town driving but your alternator need the engnie speed to be 3500 rpms and you are cruising around at 2500 rpms and putting out 60 amps it will do you no good.
This is why at alot of DB drags you will see the guy bring up the RPM on the engine from a switch or cable from outside the car.

Back