• Register Today It's free!

Rear Windshield Wiper

TJM623

Reaction score
City, State
Strongsville, Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 XLT
For some reason when I turn on my rear windshield wiper it'll pop out but completly miss the one side and only wipe the far side of my windshield? Is this because the mechanism that makes it pop out makes it skip for a couple seconds? Or is my windshield wiper bad? It looks ok but then again you never kno. I'd rather not buy a new wiper blade just to test a theory if it's really the wiper itself that's causing the problem :confused:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I replaced the wiper arm and it fixed my similar problem. The spring looses tension and doesn't "pull" the wiper to the glass the way it should.

I now have a problem with the bosch (?) replacement blade. It didn't seem to attach right and now it won't wipe all the way across.

There is a TSB from Ford, and they redesigned the arms with stronger springs I believe. If you don't feel like shelling out for that, make sure there is no gunk in the arm/spring now, and you can bend the arm slightly toward the window. That has helped people in the past.

what's a TSB? I'm stupid when it comes to abbreviations =]

Technical Service Bulletin

I also fixed it with bending the arm a little bit... Before the wiper was almost an inch away from the window!

how much would a new wiper arm cost?

Here is the TSB relationg to the situation:

TSB 15406 BACK GLASS WIPER SKIPS GLASS
APR 17, 2002

SOME 1998-2002 EXPLORER SPORT AND 1998-2001 EXPlORER/MOUNTAINEERS MAY
EXHIBIT A REAR WIPER THAT DOES NOT SUFFICIENTLY CLEAN THE BACK GLASS. TO
SERVICE, FIRST INSPECT FOR THE LETTERS 'AB' STAMPED ON THE WIPER ARM JUST
BELOW THE WIPER BLADE PIVOT PIN. IF THE LETTERS ARE NOT STAMPED ON THE ARM,
INSTALL NEW SERVICE ARM PART # XL2Z-17526-AA. NOTE: ENSURE THAT THE NEW
SERVICE ARM ASSEMBLY HAS THE LETTERS -AB' STAMPED ON ORIGINAL WIPERS WITH
'AB' STAMPED NEAR THE PIVOT PIN WERE REVISED TO APPLY MORE PRESSURE TO THE
BACK GLASS.

i appreciate the reply...but i don't get what i do? call these people order the part? since it was a TSB is it free repair? l

TJM623 said:
i appreciate the reply...but i don't get what i do? call these people order the part? since it was a TSB is it free repair? l

No, its not a freebe, sorry.

Use the link and order it online.

Good luck....

My rear wiper doesn't even work half of the time. Or I'll try to use it and nothing happens then 10 seconds later it works.

waste of time lol i think i'm gonna wait to fix it...didn't have one on my car i think i can live with having to look through rain drops when i back out for now...when i get some spare cash i'll fix it though

Quick Fix

Hey, I had mine replaced and still only worked briefly. THe dealer told me to squirt some WB40 on the spring area cuz thats all they would do and it would take care of it. Guess what it did...I have to squirt it from time to time of course but forwhatever reason now my wiper doesnt bounce off and hits my whole window....hope it helps!

TJM623 said:
waste of time lol i think i'm gonna wait to fix it...didn't have one on my car i think i can live with having to look through rain drops when i back out for now...when i get some spare cash i'll fix it though

I hate having to use the wiper(s) in general - put a couple good coats of Rain-X (or your preference of glass treatment) and it shouldn't be that hard to see out of.

It's another story come SnowTime!

yea i put rain x on already seems to just fog me up though faster guess i didn't wipe it off good enough

yeah i've got problbems with my rear wiper to. it doesnt' work. sometimes it does but now it doens't even come on. it squirts fluid to wipe but the arm doesn't even move. all the fuses are ok and i made sure the window and door was closed all the way. anyone know how to fix this instead of me haveing to go to the dealer. sucks cause the rear window gets to dirty really fast and makes looking back harder when there's snow on it.

i dunno...how snow gets on it cause i make sure to wipe it with a brush b4 i start driving lol...might wanna try that?

yeah i actually do brush it off before i go but when u drive the snow on top of the truck blows back onto the rear window. plus u get all that build up from the snow and rain.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Try turning it on then going to the back an wiggling the arm where it enters the rear door. It just may not be set right.

Back