Rotors | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rotors

Reaction score
City, State
Ogden, Utah
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 XLT
I need new rotors for my explorer. Does anyone recommend a certain kind/brand? Not looking for really expensive ones...want reasonably priced but good.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

They are definately not cheap, but several people recomended the power slot ones to me. No, Mine are stock until I get rich.

Mine would stay stock if my car didnt always shake when i braked and sqeaked. Everyday the brakes seem to be getting worse...I guess having 126,000 miles and never changing them..thats good isnt it?

Thank you! These are supposed to be good? They had some on e-bay for like 30 dollars each but figured those cant be too good.....not that i know much about any of this anyways

Your rotor are warped thats why you get such wobble. Definately change them all if you can't get them machined. IMPORTANT!!!! When you install your new rotors Torque your lugs correctly or you will warp the new rotors too.

Go with the name brand..Brembo makes good rotors.

will the people at the shop where i have them put on know to torque my lugs? i can probably only change two at a time is that bad? I hear the front is most important to do those first....

Those guys usually Torque the heck out of the damn lugs, thats why when you have a flat you have such a hard time taking them off. for my 2002 my lugs need 100foot pound. I dont know what yours will be if different. I torque my wheels myself since the shop overtightened my lugs on some new rotors and they warped. Maybe you can tell them to torque them to the specified level, but I don't know if they will actually do it. 2 at a time is not bad. Change the fronts first. I would also recoment new brakes. Your old brakes have groved and worn to the old rotor.

i just had new brake pad put on a couple months ago.....they are lifetime brake pads i think..not positive tho...i just moved out here not to long ago so i dont know of any places that i can actually trust and not get screwed over..being a girl doesnt help.....and my husband doesnt know a whole lot about fords he knows more about hondas and vw's . he wnated me to get like cross drilled rotors but someone said those warp and crack.

If your gonna do regular driving I don't see why you need cross drilled. I took off my rotors to have them machined and its easy. I would suggest getting the manual. My 2002 was a piece of cake. 2 bolts hold the caliper 24foot pound for torque. The caliper bracket had 2 bolts at 83 foot pounds for toque. You take them off and pull the rotor free. Then install in reverse. I don't know about the rotors on a '99 , but every vehicle I have had has never been that difficult. I say if he has tools and a jack, do it yourself. If you don't have a torque wrench, get one. You can use it for everything else on your truck. American cars are easy to work on.

It all depends on what you are willing to spend on the new rotors! If you are on a tight budget..check out and compare Checkers,AutoZone,Carquest,Napa..etc..whatever Ogden has for auto stores.
That is a lot of miles on the rotors....see if they can be turned/machined to get the warp out!! Pep-Boys used to charge $10 apiece to cut/machine them if you brought the rotors in to them!!!

is machines like resurfacing? When i got my front brake pads on a couple months ago they resurfaced my rotors...they said that they were very close to being below the state level.....they said what the state level was but i dont remember any of that.....

I brought mine to R&SStrauss and they charges $10 with tax. Now the " shakes " are gone when I brake. Its smooth at any speed. Doing it yourself is the best way to go. That way you can clean up your calipers and put caliper grease on the slides for the brake pads ( helps for squeeks). The shop does not do any of that. They just slap on new pads.

Yes they are the same thing

never heard of R&SStrauss...but i will look around to see if i can find someone that actually knows how to do it....my husband scares me to do it to be honest........lol

Since they have already been machined, get new rotors. Try to do the work yourself and use part of the money you would have used to pay for installation for a torque wrench. That way you ensure your not gonna warp these rotors from over tightening the lugs.

PS. get the manual for your truck. its worth it.

it will say in the manual how to do it? i guess on the air force base they may have a torque wrench that we could use too....just thought of that

Yes in the manual they also have helpful pictures. I have the Chilton manual. You can get it at almost any auto store, Pepboys, Autozone, AutoBarn or online.

I have never been in the military, but do they have a maintenance shop on base? Maybe a mechanic there would help on his own time.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

they call it a hobby shop...u have all the stuff available to u lifts, tools etc..but nobody to really help...just someone that watches over to make sure nothing bad happens really.

Back