• Register Today It's free!

What I learned today

edhand

Reaction score
City, State
Kailua, Hi
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 XLT
I just wanted to share my costly mistake so no one else would do it...
If you decide to replace your stock fan with a flex fan, use a 1 1/2" spacer. If you use a 2", the fan blades will catch the outer edge of the radiator and bend in. Then, as they continue to turn, they are no longer 1" from the radiator fins, but about 1/2" into the radiator. Steel blades, aluminum radiator..guess which one lost? Of course, it didn't do it in the drive way, even when revved..it waited until I was in the middle of the street, showering everything with coolant and metal shavings. My brand new Flex-a-lite fan, ($45) ruined. My radiator, ($175) destroyed. Me, :( . My wife...well you can imagine. Now, she has to drive me to work until I get my parts. So, be careful if you decide to do this! Or, go with an electric fan...I figure I might as well, now....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

sorry to hear of your misfortune, but why would you want to swap a clutch fan for a flex fan anyway?

3car said:
sorry to hear of your misfortune, but why would you want to swap a clutch fan for a flex fan anyway?

horsepower

Rhett said:
horsepower
I very seriously doubt there will be any noticable power gains from switching to a flex fan. What I would expect is a loss of cooling efficiency, and a reduction in wallet displacment.

3car said:
I very seriously doubt there will be any noticable power gains from switching to a flex fan. What I would expect is a loss of cooling efficiency, and a reduction in wallet displacment.

i dont see why u say that, taking the stock fan out and off of the serpintine belt system will increase power and with the flex u can turn it on and off when needed which would be more efficent than having it on all the time

mitch said:
i dont see why u say that, taking the stock fan out and off of the serpintine belt system will increase power and with the flex u can turn it on and off when needed which would be more efficent than having it on all the time
he said flex fan, not an electric fan. you cant turn off a flex fan. :)

Man that sucks. Sounds like something I would do. Good write ups on elect. fans on the forum. Good luck....

Ya, I went and got a 2 core radiator from Napa ($170) and a Flex-a-Lite Black Magic 175 electric fan ($200)...that should solve clearance issues. Of course, my wife asked, "Can't you just straighted the old fan out with a hammer? Why not?" ..lol

3car said:

oh i thought he meant the flex a lite fan which can be turned off. my bad

3car said:
Yep, but most people equate "flex-a-lite fan" to electric fan, which isn't exactly wrong, it just means assuming. Flex-a-lite does produce just a simple replacement, full time (clutchless) fan, which for the $45 price mentioned, I would guess that was what was used here. Not many people replace their stock fans with the simple flex-a-lite fans, and most assume flex-a-lite to mean a flex-a-lite electric fan, since that swap is more common.

edhand, after all that, it looks like you ended up with a nice setup, good luck with it! :thumbsup:

Except for one thing..I just got the new radiator in, went well. I couldn't get the fan adapter (part that replaced the clutch) off of the water pump (I think the extra drag of the radiator on the fan tightened it up a bit..lol), but didn't think it was that big of a deal...until I went to put the electric in, and it wouldn't fit! Ahh! The new radiator also doesn't sit flush against the grill at the top like the stock on did. I'm hoping once I get the adapter off, there will be room...
I took it for a drive anyway, just to check for leaks. (I replaced the hoses while I was at it) The temperature gauge did the opposite of what I thought it would. While driving, the temp read in the normal range..but idling at a light, I figured the temp would climb...it went down! A lot! ??????? Oh, well...I'll get it right one day....

3car said:

flex fan??? I was talking about an electric fan. I think he meant electric fan and not flex.

I don't like flex fans and don't recommend them unless there is no space...for the reasons you stated.

Back