• Register Today It's free!

Electric Fan

StillKicken

Reaction score
City, State
Harlem, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 XLT
Several months ago, I had put a flex fan on my explorer. Now, working for many decades, car manufacturers were bolting the stock fan to the water pump pulley. Ford, in hopes of making it better, or to get more money out of you, decided to have a large bolt coming out of the water pump, that the fan bolts to. I had to get a special $45 adapter to make the flex fan work. All hopes of removing the weight of the stock fan were lost as the adapter weighs like 40 lbs.

I had searched for a good while looking for an electric fan to fit. A LOT of electric fan threads out there! I know the Black Magic 150 is very popular on here. I don’t know how much different it is in other years or if they have 1 row radiaters, but it would not fit on mine. I got the Perma-Cool 19117 http://store.summitracing.com/partd...4294924500+400006+4294838842+115&autoview=sku

I had to remove the fan shroud. No cooling issues so far. Am curious as what will happen this summer when temperatures soar over 100 degrees.
Now its not snap of the neck difference, but I do notice a little more power. Don’t know about MPG gains yet. But, if I can keep my foot out of the gas, I am sure there will be a little gain there also.

Highly recommend getting an electric fan no matter which one you get!

Have included pics. Still have to tidy up the wires. Just wanted to make sure everything was ok before doing it.

Attachments

• S5301069.jpg
    S5301069.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 357
  • S5301074.jpg
    S5301074.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 362

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Are you using a thermostat switch with that, a controller or just normal toggle (on/off)?

I like the Perma Cool fans..they have low amp draw

looks good.

I am running a thermostatic controller. Its mounted behind my battery. I used the ac clutch wire from that to goto a switch so that if something happened, I could turn it on manually.

Amp draw is a plus! I have a small audio system in my car and was worried about this putting me over the top. No problems there either.

Has anyone used the fan out of a Taurus or the likes??? If so how dose it work??? What about the summer will it keep it cool enough???
:roll:

In preparation of putting an electric fan in my ex, I did a LOT of searching. Read about a lot of people having success with the Taurus fan. ON here, and other sites, vehicles.
The fan of choise on here is the Black magic. I couldn't fit it. This one barely fit. I think if I had the 3" body lift I could have got the black magic on there. Thats in the works for later this year. If I'm still in the states.

Back