Solved - Brake Switch Recall Harness | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Solved Brake Switch Recall Harness

Prefix for threads that contain problems that have been resolved, and there is an answer within the thread.

MountaineerGreen

Towing Moderator
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
North East Arkansas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 F150 4x4
Fortunately, a friend of mine works for a dealership and I was able to get this at no cost to me. In light of things like this fire really concerned me.

thttp://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=159482

Although Ford has not officially recalled the Explorers/Rangers/Mountaineers/Sport Tracks, I would suggest doing this modification.

This is the harness I got:

light_bar_001_Small_.jpg

It came with zip ties to attach it to the master cylinder. It has a plug and simply intercepts the signal between the switch and factory harness.

light_bar_008_Small_.jpg

light_bar_002_Small_.jpg

It has a fused link that I assume will blow if there is a problem. I would assume that most any dealer would sell these for a reasonable price. The part number is in the above picture.

I hope this helps other people save their X from this:

699973160_l.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thank you for posting this information! :thumbsup:

I am having cruise control issues right now, so maybe I should get this harness and also replace the brake switch while I am at it. it probably isn't the problem, but better safe than sorry.

If you replace your switch with the new style switch, you will not need the harness. the new switch has an adapter harness because the plug on it is different from the original. Make sure you save your receipt, because if Ford retroactively covers your vehicle, you will be eligible for a refund. I work in the parts department at a Ford dealer and I see this kind of stuff all the time. People fix their vehicles and then a recall comes out or is changed to cover their vehicle. When I sell one of those switches, I tell my customers to save the receipt.

This recall is currently for "Certain 1994-1996 Model Year Bronco, 1994-2002 F-150 through F-550, 1997-2002 Expedition, 1998-2002 Navigator, 2002 Blackwood,1994-1996 E-150/250/350, 1996-2002 E-450, 2000-2002 Excursion, and 1998 Explorer and Mountaineer vehicles equipped with Speed Control
Speed Control System Modification".

there is a recall for that wire from ford
we had it replaced last moth after reciving a letter from ford for our 99 explorer
call your deal with the vin # if u havent recevied the recall yet

Yeah, I got this harness a year ago, long before the recall. I got my letter the other day, plan to return to the dealer to get the rest of the parts and let them put it in the system that the recall was done. Once I get all the information, I will make a thread with pictures of the parts.

I have the orange switch on my '97. It looks like it's leaking so I'll replace it on my own dime.

anyone have a part number, and not a service kit # (unless they can use that) my truck didn't have factory cruise, so i put one in. i don't know what year the master cylinder was, and my truck is a 98.

I remember this, it was from the cruise control thinger aswell... I took it back to dealer after the recall happened, they just disconnected the cruise control, and now I don't have any cruise control. Cheap *******s.

As soon as the parts are available, Ford will reconnect your cruise control. The latest estimate as to when the parts will be available is May. Of course, that could change tomorrow........

Got the letter yesterday. Had the work done today. Love my cruise control....:)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back