Can I rip out that STUPID console computer? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Can I rip out that STUPID console computer?

My mileage stated on the console computer is almost always exactly 1 mpg higher then when I divide my trip milage by the gallons I pump into the tank.

If console says 15.3, I acutally 14.2-14.4mpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am trying to get rid of my message center in my 2000 eddie buaer, but when I disconnect it my trucks runs fine but when I turn the headlights on the truck goes haywire, ABS light is on, Speedo is erratic,blower comes on, instrument gauges goes real dim, the right blinker gauge comes on. Bump for a fix to removing the MC altogether.

mersberg, don't have an answer for you but it sounds like by removing the computer you have altered a major ground for a lot of the electricals and headlights.

So now the headlights are grounding through those other items you mention, sending current through them and causing them to go haywire.

I'd guess it has something to do with your dashlight ground and not your headlights directly. When you turn on your headlights, the dashlights come on and that current is back tracking through a bunch of other connections to find a ground...causing all the haywire.

Take a look at the wires you disconnected from the computer and see if you can find a ground in the harness and reground it.

again this is just a guess based on similar issues with other cars. I never ended up pulling my message center so I don't even know what is under there.

If you have a V8 I'll trade you my manual stuff for the ACC/Trip computer. :D

hate that computer because its always showing something related to mileage...distance to empty, mpg, etc. I'm lucky to see 16 average with any street driving. Any stopping at lights kills the numbers.

Maybe if it had virtual gauges or OBD parameters. It don't even have a low coolant sensor.

What a waste of two cubbies.

I agree with Dan's comments about the cubbys. Hell, they won't even hold a pack of smokes very well. I'm always filling them up with diet coke when I hit the brakes too hard also because the drink holder's are too shallow. I was going to do the swap to the digital console but I found the Aeroforce Interceptor gauge works better, is easier to install and has more features.

I use the cup holder ashtray for small items like nuts and bolts....my fat fingers arent good for picking washers out of the cup holder... I put the ashtray in the console storage under the armrest when i need to put a drink there...

Is there enough room to leave the mc hooked up out of the way, under the dash? If so, you could keep it original for resale....just figure out how to disable the the annoying beeping that comes from it...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...0098090963&sspagename=STRK:MEWAX:IT&viewitem=

http://cgi.ebay.com/Beer-Helmet-Dri...5|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318|301:1|293:1|294:50

I get along fine with the larger cubby dedicated to other uses.

Attachments

• IMG_0363.jpg
    IMG_0363.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 268

I think NovaNate has hit the nail on the head.

IDEA,

I hated my 2 small cubbies in my 99 Ex, so I went to the junk-yard and bought them again, but this time, I unscrewed the stock cubbies & fabricated my own much larger "catch-all" and shelf out of plastic & wood & covered it all in black felt.

I now have a place for cd's, maglights, pocket knives, screwdrivers, paperclips, gum, coins, bolts, pens, tapemeasure, notes, etc etc. you know, the usual truck junk.

I kept the original console & put it back in when I sold the truck.

I kept my custom console and now have it in my 2000 Ex.

I like the idea of placing the useless computer under the dash & customizing the console so it WORKS as it should.

(That computer is why I did not buy and Eddie Bauer)

Back