Lay the truck over your shoulder and pat it on the back . . . | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Lay the truck over your shoulder and pat it on the back . . .

Jcnbama

Reaction score
City, State
Alabama
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT
I just recently flushed my coolant system in my 94' Explorer 4x4 and am wondering how exactly you "Burp" the system? Someone told me that is rather important after you flush to prevent air pockets from forming and I wonder if someone might know the process of how this is done. Thanks alot for the help ...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

best way i've found.....just run the truck. eventually the air bubbles will pop out into the radiator. keep an eye on the coolant levels in the reserve tank and the radiator itself, and you should be jsut fine.

Pop the cap open on the coolant system, start the truck, once its starts to bubble out of the radiator, close it up..

That title is freaking hilarious........haha:D :) :D

I just changed the intake gasket on mine and yea the best way is to just
make sure you keep the res tank full and it will all work out of the system in a few days...

Thanks for everyones help ! ! I thought it would be that simple . . . I wonder why other car companies dont use the rubber gasket instead of the ole cardboard paper crappy gasket for the Thermostat. That was the easiest one I've ever changed. . . . Way to go Ford

I have had issues with other vehicle. when the engine reaches temperature, grab the upper hose with both hands and sqeeze it many times, fast. It pushes the air pockets around and out.
My Volvo is notorious for air lock up by the T-Stat when doing a coolant change.

The fastest method I have found is to either park the vehicle on an incline, or jack the front as high as you can-trying to get the heater core lower than the cap--

I was taught to fill the radiator, leave the cap off, and start the engine. When the t-stat opens, the level in the radiator will drop as the air is displaced in the engine, then top off the radiator.

Having said that, when I tried that the last time I replaced the radiator on my Explorer, antifreeze gushed out of the radiator neck like a geyser when the t-stat opened. I've seen posts here that say that means a head may be cracked.

Are there other explanations, and is this practice of bleeding cooling systems still recommended?

Mike

Back