A4LD leak problem. (or SNJs truck just dosnt like being in one piece....) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

A4LD leak problem. (or SNJs truck just dosnt like being in one piece....)

SuRrEaLNJ

hail to the king, baby!
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
out of my mind...
Year, Model & Trim Level
MUNK 07 Focus 97 XL1200C
alrigh, i have a bit of a leak goin on in my 94 trans. Now first off ill admidt i dont know all that much about these transes, so youll have to forgive me.
Its comin from the passenger side up above the pan towards the front. i checked the cooler line fittings, theyre ok. I also checked the dipstic tube, thats ok as well, as far as i can see it seems to be coming out from the forward most of the 2 servo covers. Or atleast i think thats what those things are...
When i pulled the trans out there was some old dried up silicone pealing off of the grive around the cap, but i didnt think much of it. It wasnt leaking in the truck that it came out of either.
Its my understanding at this point that i have to drop the valve body to get the servo out. Is that corect?
How much of a pia is this gonna be to fix properly, ive rebuilt an AOD, but it was for a class, and never ran in anything, so it was more of disasemble and re asemble for credit. To be honest im Kind of worried about pullin the trans apart.

Any body have any input?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No... this is a servo, not a solenoid. You need to compress the cap and remove a snap ring. Inside is a molded rubber servo that strokes the OD band. The cap also has an O ring. I'd replce the O ring on the cap AND the servo, as they tend to get hard and leak as well - though your problem is likely the cap O ring.

Beware..this is a major PITA due to the location of the exhaust.

This should be much easier to replace considering that you already have the transmission out. Keep the transmission on the pan when you remove the servos. Any other position might cause the apply struts to fall off.

No... this is a servo, not a solenoid. You need to compress the cap and remove a snap ring. Inside is a molded rubber servo that strokes the OD band. The cap also has an O ring. I'd replce the O ring on the cap AND the servo, as they tend to get hard and leak as well - though your problem is likely the cap O ring.

Beware..this is a major PITA due to the location of the exhaust.

DOH I did say solenoid in my pm to you... i ment servo...

so i dont have to drop the valve body... thats like seriously the best news ive had in while :D

This should be much easier to replace considering that you already have the transmission out. Keep the transmission on the pan when you remove the servos. Any other position might cause the apply struts to fall off.

No, its back in the truck... wel in the other truck technically.... i even confuse my self sometimes with this... my 94 trans is curently in the 91 truck... the 91 trans is on the floor...

i solved that 3 pedal deficinecy thing of mine, but not well enough to really want to wheel one... althoguh ive though about it

Hey, anyone hapen to have the part numbers for the servos and seals handy?

The zc servo and cover is a direct replacement?
and im guessing its advantageous to use. i haven't gotten a chance to check my codes yet, but as far as i know its the stock parts in there.

The larger the servo, the more fluid to apply holding pressure. There might be a plus, and minus to this. Old bands might break faster with more apply pressure, and a small ratio boost valve might cause a slight time delay since it's not filling the servo fast enough. I don't want to scare you into not using it. The advantage is a more positive grip of the band to hold the drum with the clutch packs. A better grip means less slippage. The 4.0L uses the high ratio boost valve in the transmission, so you already have that taken care of. BTW, what was stamped on the old servo covers?

havent goten down to the garage to check that out yet

alright, ordered the stock replacement servos and seals last nigh. i honestly dont know the condition of the tranny, so i decided not to risk the larger servo.

Thanks for your help Glacier and BB

Back