• Register Today It's free!

A4LD transmission problem.

ebxploder

Reaction score
City, State
Brunswick Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 Eddie Bauer
Hi everyone! I'm a new member here, and this is my first post to the site. I have a 1992 Eddie Bauer Explorer, 4x4, with the dreaded AL4D automatic transmission. The truck has just shy of 247k on the clock, and the trans was rebuilt @ 130k. It has started to leak trans fluid at an alarming rate. I initially thought it was the pan gasket, and although a couple of the bolts were a little loose (and I only snugged them up a bit), the leak didn't subside. I did notice that the trans leaked alot when put in gear. While lying underneith the truck deciding what to try next, I noticed something hanging out from the passenger side of the trans. It turned out to be the snap ring that holds what I believe to be the OD servo in place. The servo was partially pushed out, and that's where the fluid was coming from. I pushed the servo back in, and cleaned the groove for the snap ring, and reinstalled it, hoping for the best. It has started leaking again for the same reason. I've done lots of Google searches (how I found this site), and found next to nothing about this. Anyone have any ideas as to what may have caused this, or if there is a fix, short of a rebuild or trans swap? I can't tell if the groove for the snap ring is damaged, and I haven't decided whether or not to pull the exhaust to make some room to look. Thanks in advance!

I see I posted this in the wrong catagory...sorry...feel free to move my post, or if someone knows how I can do it, please let me know. Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

welcome ebexploder

Welcome to this forum! I've moved your thread to the transmission section. I've never heard of the servo cover popping out the snap ring. Did you see if the snap ring is damaged? There is an O ring seal around the servo cover.

So it popped the snap ring out all over again? Or is just leaking at the same spot?

I also would check your cooler lines too, make sure there not leaking, mine only lasted 125k km (60k miles?)

Best of luck!

Hi everybody! Thanks for moving my thread Brooklyn, I thought I was in the right place til after I posted it...figures...

The snapring looks ok, although a bit rusty. There was also some rust in the slot in the bore where the snapring sits. I cleaned the snapring and slot out as best I could. Not too much of the slot is visible with the exhaust and heat shield in place. I had to push the servo cover into it's bore 3 or 4 times while trying to clean the groove. I know there's some hydraulic pressure on the servo, but how much should there be? At any rate, I tried to spread the snapring out a bit, and reinstalled it and crossed my fingers. I haven't seen the o ring seal you mention, but I haven't had the servo cover come out of the bore. It doesn't leak as long as the snapring stays in place.

Brandons-I checked the lines, and there were no leaks found. It took me a while to figure where the leak was coming from because it didn't really leak at all til I put the truck in gear.

Thanks for the replies!

Back