Anybody along the Front Range interested in 4.10's for their 2nd Gen? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Anybody along the Front Range interested in 4.10's for their 2nd Gen?

Hokie

Hokius Maximus
Reaction score
City, State
Denver, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 TJ Sport
Here's the deal you've been looking for...

I've got 4.10's in my '98 Mountaineer and I'm probably going to lower it back to stock, so I'm looking to get 3.73's back in it. The rear axle is a 4.10 L/S from a '99 Sport, the front axle is from a low mileage '01 Explorer.

The idea is to park your vehicle next to mine and do a direct swap. The front axles can be swapped in ~ 2-3 hours. With 2 people working this can be done on a Saturday or Sunday ~ you don't even have open the brake lines or bleed the brakes. I originally did this (by myself ~ with no air tools or even a breaker bar) in the parking lot at my old apartment. Its not technically/mechanically challenging, just alot of wrench turning.

I've got $250 in axles so thats what I would be asking to recoup my costs. A junk yard disc 4.10 L/S 8.8 will cost more than that.

Any takers?

EDIT:
I'd really like the donor to have less than 150k miles
Not have worn out bearings
Not have leaky pinion/axle seals as I've replaced enough of those in my time ;)

The front axle can't have the vacuum disconnect bulb on the passenger's side as it will not fit with my V8 oil pan (I think Ford quit using those in '97)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Meeeeeeee Me Me Me Me Me Me I will take it. I need to go to 4.10s for the 32s and have been looking for some. I am free most all Saturdays and can bring most any tool needed. Just let me know when and where.

Tim

Ha! That was quick... couple of questions:

How many miles do your axles have on them?
Would you be willing to drive to Fort Collins for the swap?
Hopefully your rear ABS sensor will still communicate with my '98 Mounty?
Does your front axle have the front vacuum disconnect bulb on it? (I think they used that on the Explorers with the 2WD/4AUTO/4LOW option)

Damn Hokie... I wish I was still in CO... This would have been exactly what I need... Oh well... Plus I've also got the 5.0...

unfortunately mine is the vac disco. I may look for a 3.73 front in a yard so we can do the swap. I am more than willing to run down to Ft. Collins for the swap.
My truck has about 120K on it. I just changed the diff fluids in both ends. Using Ford OEM fluids ( rear at almost $20 a quart) Plus I still have some left.
I actually have a 4.10 front without vac. Just really need the rear.
Tim

yeah, i was afraid yours would be the vacuum disco... I also thought about the j/y 3.73 axle option as I was driving home from work today...

Other than the vacuum bulb, yours sounds like a great match! (and pretty close too) :thumbsup:

Damn Hokie... I wish I was still in CO... This would have been exactly what I need... Oh well... Plus I've also got the 5.0...

don't you have 33's? I went with 4.10's planning on getting 33's but now plans have changed

Sweet deal for somebody! Hokie I already have a 4.10 front diffy and some Ford 4.10 ring and pinions for my 8.8

With the low range t case, 33's and 3.73 gears though I really love my highway/towing rpm's..even with my 19' Bayliner in tow at 75 MPH I am right around 2500 rpm in 2wd, makes for great mileage. With the cam, headers, etc it has plenty of power to pull even heavy loads in the rockies. 4.10's would be nice but I am in no hurry. The 4406 t case really helped ALOT, I hate AWD

Sweet deal for somebody! Hokie I already have a 4.10 front diffy and some Ford 4.10 ring and pinions for my 8.8

How about your (soon to be) step son's Explorer? At Slaughterhouse he said he wanted to go to 33's

Back