Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
NORTH IDAHO, 7B
Year, Model & Trim Level
B2 "Slightly" Modified
Callsign
FOURTEN
I finally got my gears installed. It cost a little more then I would have liked, but it was worth it.

Yesterday I had Precision Gear 4.10's installed in my 31 spline disc braked L/S 8.8.

The shop rebuilt the L/S, installed the gears and replaced the parking brake.

With 31" tires the 4.10's are perfect.
I still need to calibrate my speedo (new gear)
but I can tell you this is the best mod I have done yet.

I went from 3.73's to 4.10's so it wasnt a huge difference, but enough to "tune" the truck to where it should be. RPM's on the higway are right where they should be, and it made a big difference in how and when my A4LD shifts (biggest improvement). The 4.10's pull me off the line a little quicker and on hills I can tell a BIG difference. I'm glad I didnt go 4.56 because with 31'son the street it would wrap out on the highway. If it wasnt my daily driver or if I planned to run 33's on the street I would have chosen 4.56.

The front carrier for my 92 D35 TTB is at the shop, it is having the 4.10's installed and the used ARB I got "gone through". Should be done this week, bolted in next week.

I am happy as a clam. Now to go get my Skyjacker 4" leafs and ARB compressor............

how much $$ if you don't mind me askin?

ALOT!!!!

It was over $700.

There are a coule things that drove the price up however. My best friend works at Drivetrain Industries here in CO and I get all my parts from him for CHEAP!!!

However the geaars he got me were $160 for the R&P, but they were Italian Motive gears. The installer refused to use these gears and suggested another brand. Italian metal sucks, apparently the Motive gears are crappy and noisy. So I had to 2nd day air a set of precision gears, they cost me about $210 for the gears and $80 shipping. Then the L/S rebuild was about $35 and the parking brake hardware and shoes from Ford were expensive. So if I could have gotten the Precision R&P or fordmotorsports gears myself that would have saved me a bunch of $$$$. Also I would suggest buying the parking brake stuff from Napa, that would have saved some $$$$ too. I did supply them with the install kit (bearings and seals). I also took it to a very trusted off road shop in town, they may cost a little more then places like 4wheelparts but to me it;s worth it because you get what you pay for.

Now they are working on my front diff and that (sinceit;s out of the truck) should be right around $250 since I supplied the spicer 4.10 R&P, the carrier already has a ARB installed (drilled housing, air line run, currently has 4.56 gears) and I'm bolting it in myself.

So $700+ is more then the $300 I originally planned on but it;s ostly because they supplied the gears and they had to be shipped 2 day or I would have missed my appointment (they are booked 5 weeks out!!)

Back