What is this part & why does it look broken? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What is this part & why does it look broken?

Reaction score
City, State
Sacramento, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 Explorer EB 5.0 AWD
So while setting up the wiring for my Explorer (98' V8 EB Edition) I noticed some thing that looks like a shock just above my rear diff and it appears to be broken or almost broken. However I have no idea what it is or what its function is, any ideas?
http://img374.imageshack.us/img374/2156/1001124aq6.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a 98 Mounty and a 98 Sport and I have never seen that before. What does the other end hook to?

Not sure that is the 5th shock -- the 5th shock goes from the side of the diff and forward to the frame rail (not back like in the pic).

Bingo Jesse, that is the rear height sensor for the ARC suspension. There are two mounting points at the top and bottom for the two links. That height sensor looks like a shock with the boot on it.

Your sensor has come off from the visible mounting stud above. Try to save those parts, that linkage assembly is about $200 from Ford. Regards,

Attachments

• Projectthread100.JPG
    Projectthread100.JPG
    77.8 KB · Views: 350

Or you've had too much lemonade -- its making you go wacko!

Sweet, I was scratching my head trying to figure it out. Thanks again.

David

Thats just come off the ball stud above it, its black in your picture, make sure to grease it b4 you put it back, then you can release the bottom ball joint and grease that one and the plastic ladder thing in front also has the same ball joints so do them also.

Back