EGR Tube Removal- Help

Lazzman

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Massachusetts
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Sport 4wd- V6 Sohc
Recieved a check engine light that showed code P0401, leading me to believe the lower EGR tube was clogged. I tried to remove the EGR tube today but could not get the EGR valve off. I used PB Blaster but it did not seem to work very well. Only had it on for about half an hour before I tried to unbolt the nut.

I ended up twisting the tube and kinking it. Time for a new lower EGR Pipe.

Any tips on getting it off the Exhaust manifold connection? I am sure it is going to be stuck solid the same as the EGR valve nut.

My truck is off the road until the new lower EGR pipe arrives. But I have to get the old one off, thought about going in through the fender well to accesss the nut.

Help is greatly appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm not really familiar with the 98 design, but a couple general ideas:

Cut the pipe off flush and use a socket and an extension (and a swivel if you need it)
Get a big wrench though the fenderwell and put a pipe on it

Whatever you do, don't round it off... so steer clear of adjustable wrenches... keep spraying it with PB or try Kroil (if you can find it) and freeze-off, also try torching the manifold to make it expand...and then spraying lube in while its cooling (the heat makes it go in deeper) you're probably going to have to use all the tricks in the book...

And keep a fire extinguisher handy if using the torch...

When I replaced mine, I simply sprayed with PB Blaster after heating with a torch. It ( both nuts ) came off with no issues. The lower is easier through the fender.

Good luck ....

Attachments

• egr2.gif
    egr2.gif
    6.1 KB · Views: 9,527
  • egr1.gif
    egr1.gif
    5.5 KB · Views: 9,324

EGR Problems

:usa: leading me to believe the lower EGR tube was clogged

Did that help any as I'm haveing the same problems

you will probably need to use an end wrench to hold the fitting in the manifold and another wrench on the tube fitting. If it doesn't come loose, heat the tube fitting. 99% of the time, that will do it. Since the tube is ruined, cutting it off so you can use a socket is a very good idea.

To avoid this the next time it has to come off, use anti-seize on the fittings when you put it back together.

First I would like to thank everyone for all of the great suggestions :thumbsup:

A trip to my local dealer and $156 later I had a new EGR tube. Aldive is correct it is much easier to get the bottom nut through the tire well. I heated the EGR valve bolt with a torch and PB blasted it, no luck. Waited 2 days and wrenched it again came right off.

After all of this it turned out to be the DPFE which was ordered form Ford. So in the immortal words of other forum members "Check your DPFE first..."

All is well except for the ticking exhaust leak I am know getting from the left exhaust manifold area. Not sure where it is coming from but I can hear it when I drive. I will go in and try and tighten the lower EGR Tube nuts again.

While I was at it I also cleaned the upper EGR tube and put a new O ring gasket on it.

although my upper egr tube passes air and to the sensers ive developed a smokey stinker on the other side of my doughnut so I believe that gunk has collected down there or possibly ive just sealed the door on my t1 cat trying to clean the upper passages of the EGR there wasn't a problem in the upper egr and intake ....... what does it look like down there is it gunky in the egr lower tube flow area I want this to be a worth while trip to the cleaners

Back