EGR Valve and Tube Removal - 5.0L

bobflood

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Powder Springs, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Eddie Bauer V8 2WD
I have a P0401 EGR Insufficient Flow code. I can see the EGR and related hoses, devices and EGR tube, but it looks like a bear to get to - the AC box at the passenger side rear of the engine bay seems to block access to turn a wrench on the nuts on either end of the EGR tube. The bolts holding the EGR to the intake plenum are no picnic, but at least seem doable. Any advice or experience any of y'all can offer as to getting the EGR valve and tube out for cleaning would be appreciated. Nothing in EGR system has been touched in 19 years/292K miles. Thanks in advance for your help!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

1 & 1/16 crows foot, pb blaster is what I have used, I also removed the oil fill neck so once I broke it loose I could get a open end wrench on it. What about the dpfe sensor. Does the 96 have one and if it does have you replaced it?

1 & 1/16 crows foot, pb blaster is what I have used, I also removed the oil fill neck so once I broke it loose I could get a open end wrench on it. What about the dpfe sensor. Does the 96 have one and if it does have you replaced it?

Thanks for the crows foot and oil tube hints! My '97 has something like a DPFE - the shop manual calls it something different. That's also hard to get to - as usual there is stuff in the way.

If you have the egr tube then you have a late 97 with external egr ? If so take the two bolts out holding the egr to the intake and then what I do is heat the fitting on the exhaust manifold soak with pb , croil , tranny fluid or whatever you like to use and repeat a few times then I go through the wheel well with my wrench, most of the time the fitting in the manifold will break loose before the tube dose and I just roll with it and get the whole thing out and work on it at the workbench in a vise

If you have the egr tube then you have a late 97 with external egr ? If so take the two bolts out holding the egr to the intake and then what I do is heat the fitting on the exhaust manifold soak with pb , croil , tranny fluid or whatever you like to use and repeat a few times then I go through the wheel well with my wrench, most of the time the fitting in the manifold will break loose before the tube dose and I just roll with it and get the whole thing out and work on it at the workbench in a vise

Thanks - I was wondering if I could get a wrench on that lower nut from the side. I was afraid that the AC box was too deep and would block the side access.

old thread but Im working on one of these now
Trying to source the manifold to egr tube fitting I think I finally found it
Dorman part 917-400
Anyways
Cut a 1-16" wrench in half, then you can get the egr tube fitting loose.... you can even use a cheater pipe to help with leverage

I just take the intake tube out of the way, bend the upper coolant hose and get in there with a small crescent (1 1/4" opening) and undo the exhaust side. I don't even try to take the tube out, just get a flex head ratchet or universal and take the two 10mm bolts to remove the EGR and the tube together.

Back