Easy fix for lock actuator broken from door rivet | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Easy fix for lock actuator broken from door rivet

mikepier

Reaction score
City, State
Long Island, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 XLT
15 XL
I don't know if anyone else posted this, but this weekend I took apart my door panel to attempt to fix the lock actuator that broke off the door rivet and was just hanging in the breeze and not locking and unlocking my door correctly.
First off, if you have a problem with your door not unlocking or locking completely, and you think it might be the actuator, look at the inside of the door to see if the rivet had popped out (compare with the other door).
I was going to attempt to disconnect the whole actuator,take it out, and repair it. But there is actually an easier and simpler solution.

With your hand inside the door frame holding the actuator in its proper location, take a 1/8" drill bit and drill a hole about 1/4" below the existing rivet hole through the door and through the actuator mounting bracket.
Now take a self-tapping #8 machine screw about 1/2" long and fasten the actuator in place.
That's it!
I'll try to post a pic of it later.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

When I had to replace the actuator in the drivers door, I replaced the original pop rivet with a button head cap screw and a nylon locknut. The button head screw has a low head so there is clearance between the door frame and door jamb. That was at least 6 years ago; its still working fine. So that is another option for fastening the actuator.

When I had to replace the actuator in the drivers door, I replaced the original pop rivet with a button head cap screw and a nylon locknut. The button head screw has a low head so there is clearance between the door frame and door jamb. That was at least 6 years ago; its still working fine. So that is another option for fastening the actuator.

Just curious, did you remember how to take out the actuator? I can't figure out how to remove the connecting rod because you don't have enough clearnce to swing it.

I remember that the hardest part was getting the electrical connector off because you cannot see what you are doing, so you have to feel around for the tab to get the connector shell to release. Then, as far as I can remember, you just have push the actuator up so that the rod comes out of the hole in the latch.

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    76.6 KB · Views: 2,452

I remember that the hardest part was getting the electrical connector off because you cannot see what you are doing, so you have to feel around for the tab to get the connector shell to release. Then, as far as I can remember, you just have push the actuator up so that the rod comes out of the hole in the latch.

Removing the electrical was not a problem for me. Since the actuator was already loose I was able to swing it a little towards me and see the tab.

But the rod has a hook in it at the top in the latch, so it would seem to me you have to angle the rod out. I did try pushing the rod up, but it did not come out. Is there a trick to it? I also see the rod goes though a grommet in the hole, does that come out as well?

I don't remember the grommet coming out. I know that the rod just fits through the hole; I don't remember having too much of a problem getting it out.

Back