Rich Smelling exhaust.....

medicbro2000

Reaction score
City, State
Ludlow Vermont
Year, Model & Trim Level
(1994 XLT) 00 RangerXLT
hello!

I know there have been some previous posts around this type of topic...and I have read a good majority of them, however, I figured I would post my own in hopes of a response that would help me out..

I have a 2000 3.0 Ranger.... that has a rich smelling exhaust. I have had a bunch of parts replaced, MAF, Coil Pack, Some vac lines... but nothing seems to really change anything.

I have checked all the vac lines I can find and get my hands on, and even changed some that looked a bit bad. Still, I find the gas mileage is less than desireable, and it does have a bit of an 'idle roll'...

My concern is possibly a headgasket issue...which I cannot see any leaks anywhere and I do not smell antifreeze. It does not appear to be going into the oil either. My plugs and wires were changed about 2 years ago

I do have a bad Flex Fuel Sensor- Fuel compensation Sensor, which I really do not want to spend $600 for... I only found this out after my truck died and left me on the side of the road for a while. I got it running by unhooking the battery and then plugging it back in and it runs fine now with the exception of the CEL coming on... which gives the P0176 code which is for the Flex Fuel Sensor "malfunctioning".

ANYWAY- Could this be my problem??? Or does anyone else have any other suggestions that are less expensive that could be the answer? Bad Cat maybe?

Thanks guys!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I thought I did too.... but all I did was unhook the battery and plug it back in after about 15 mins... which reset the whole system, but my truck still pushes the P0176 code... so I am thinking at this point that the reason my truck isn't running the best is because of this faulty sensor...even though it does run, and not too too bad either... Just with the rich smell, slightly rough idle, and now the Flex Fuel sensor... it all just seems too ironic.

I read up on the links, and I appreciate the help, very much. I have found that whatever is involved with the "Flex Fuel" Sensor is rather lengthly anyway about...and not cheap.

At this point it looks like I am going to be inquiring with the local junkyard for replacement parts, if not investing in a "Flex Fuel Replicator" which costs around $150 from TANDSELECTRONICS.COM...

I think new plugs and wires are on the menu anyway. Time for a good old tune up and fluid flushes.

THANKS TBARS!

...No problem...:D

...The thing I would be worried about running rich, you might be looking to have replace a cat in the near future, due to that faulty sensor...:(

OBD II Code - Flex Fuel Sensor Failure

Don't let your P0176 or any other code relating to the Flex Fuel Sensor in your Ranger go. I did and I replaced the Oxygen Sensors in the end. I finally located a GREAT company that sells flex fuel bypass sensors or replicators. It's Point A Engineering. I looked at T and S Electronics but they have no phone number and that isn't the best scenario when buying on the net. Point A is a business with an office and 5 engineers whose specialty is FFS. And yes, one of the auto engineers told me the CAT would have been next to fail had I let it go longer.

I wish I would have dealt with the $150. bypass sensor from Point A Engineering to begin with! If you need any advice, I'd call them. They are amazing at customer service. www.pointaengineering.com.

Nice to meet other Ford enthusiasts,
Bob

Back