• Register Today It's free!

Steering wheel removal

mgmgmg

Reaction score
City, State
Plymouth, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 LTD '10 LTD V8
I just bought a ford oem steering wheel and just wanted to know if there is any special tools or anything i should know before taking apart the horn pad? I see theres a plastic nut or something on the top. just wanted to know how to remove that before i do any damage. I removed the two bolts.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Remove the two bolts behind the spokes and pull it off... that's it. Make sure you don't pull it too far or you will rip out the cruise control/ horn wiring. There is a plastic christmas tree fastener at the top, like the ones that are used on door panels. Keep the pad even while pulling it, don't twist it up or to the side, that will snap off the plastic pin.

yup....Im done with this project... I will post some before and after pics of the steering wheel. 60$ on ebay ford oem. Im very happy!!!

:shifty_eyummm ...... there would not be any more of those steering wheel's laying around for sell are they ???

really in good shape ...looks brand new and in tan of all colors !

wow just looked and they have got a really big selection ...hard to belive that they are factory wheels i guess that were never made it to the production line and the price's are good to .

i wonder tho if these are factory ones and how with age of i guess being out in the sun to much if these will fall prey to the black glue that all first gen steering wheels have ? i guess at those prices you could pick up an extra steering wheel to have handy .

Wow that looks great. I just put a steering wheel cover over mine. I might just have to get a new wheel though after seeing your pics. That CD player is rare? Mine had one. I still have it laying around somewhere. I just assumed that all Eddie Bauers had em. Learn something new everyday.

I don't know if the CD is officially rare, but that is the first one I have seen besides the drawing in the owner's manual. All the EB editions (or any explorer for that matter) I have seen at the wrecker have been tape or a hole in the dash.

Wow that's crazy. I'll have to reinstall mine. It worked just fine, but I wanted a loud sound system back when I was in high school and the stock unit didn't have the pre-outs. That sound system is long gone so I will have to put the old one back in.

Back