• Register Today It's free!

Atlas 4SP Transfer Case

Fusion213

Reaction score
City, State
Jacksonville, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 XLT 5.0L
I'm sorry for the lack of pictures, I only had 3 1/2 months between this last deployment and the current one i'm on.

I just would like to report that the Atlas 4SP fits very well onto the 4R70W transmission in the 5.0L explorers. I ordered mine with the standard rotation and an additional spacer plate. I can't remember the exact thickness but it was the spacer that was recommended. The only modification that was necessary for the install was to cut about a 1/4" off of the end of my output shaft since the 4speed does NOT accept ANY stickout, it pretty much entailed cutting off the beveled portion of the shaft. A modification that might be necessary on some explorers are shaving off a portion of the fwd gas tank mounting bracket due to interferance with the oil level tube. I've done a SAS so i'm not quite sure if there's going to be interferance with the xmsn crossmember on an IFS vehicle but when nearing full droop on my truck, my driveshaft contact the crossmember(i still need to remedy that). The basic atlas shifter will work fine, just cut a hole in the floor and bend the shifter handles. The reduction box cable shifter was installed easily. The atlas was ordered with flanges front and rear, the shafts were made by high angle driveline w/ 1350 CVs front and rear. Shifting the atlas takes a bit of getting used to.
To shift the reduction box you need to be at a stop in neutral. To shift the other two sticks, it's easiest when you're at a slow roll.
I also ordered the atlas with the super short tail since my speedo is read off of the tone ring in the rear end, I think I read something about not using it on a daily driver, so far it seems good. I made a wheeling trip to uwharrie national forest before I left and it handled speeds of 90mph pretty well. The speed limits around jacksonville, nc top out at 55mph so I haven't really brought my truck above 65 so I was a bit nervous at hitting that kind of speed.
I'll be getting back around the beginning of spring next year and i'll post up some pictures.

Pictures!!!!!!!

Yea if i was running a v8 explorer with auto tranny- the 4spd atlas is the way to go in my opinion if you have allready conviced yourself to drop what it cost for the 2spd, the extra 2 spds is not that much more.

Very cool! Enjoy your new toy:chug:

Back