Rear locker opinion poll | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rear locker opinion poll

Which is the better all around rear locker?

• Total voters

Turdle

DIY stunt double
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Humboldt, KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Mounty
I could not find what I was looking for so we are going to have a rear locker poll please

Do not just say ARB doood! without giving good reasons for your opinion please.

I would like to consider the following criteria

Price

Durablity

Reliability

Required maintenance

Repair-maintenance cost

Installation

Different Cover required?

Required accesrories

I would like to hear opinions an all.
Right now I am looking for a locker for a gm 14 bolt with 9.5" ring gear, however, you never know what the future brings

Availability for the 14 bolt is limited. ARB does not make a 14 bolt cover for their 14 bolt locker.:confused:

Eaton E-Locker seems iffy to me. I like the electric idea, no need for an air compressor is a plus. However while searching I did read about issues

Aussie makes no locker for the 14 bolt.

I really like the OX locker and cover. It is a manually operated locker requiring no external power source. Just a cable, like would be used for a manual choke. It also comes with a very beefy looking cover, with a bright yellow OX logo.
However, they offer no 14 bolt locker

Lock rite does however, and it requires no special cover. This is an automatic type.

So, please discuss.

Voting is multiple, so, later, people can choose from what may be available for their application.

I hope this works--

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

...What mk/model is this going in???..:scratch:

..I thought this was for your Mounty or first gen until I seen the GM 14 bolt...If it was for the Ford 8.8 rear end, I would vote for Aussie as being cheapest, low/no maintenance problems...
http://aussielocker.com/item.php/TMb9314b/c358/06/306008/.html

...Another item not covered is, does it have or need an open carrier???..:dunno:

...What mk/model is this going in???..:scratch:

..I thought this was for your Mounty or first gen until I seen the GM 14 bolt...If it was for the Ford 8.8 rear end, I would vote for Aussie as being cheapest, low/no maintenance problems...

...Another item not covered is, does it have or need an open carrier???..:dunno:

Yes Ted, I am asking about this thread.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=209873&page=2&highlight=blazer

However in the long run I would like this to be a generic opinion thread for everybody to gain a bit of insight.

Thanks

I do like the Aussie locker in the rear of my truck. It just works.

It does make a bit of noise while turning, however, it just works, and works well. No cables to break, no special cover needed, no air compressor required, and, the design seems simple. Maintenance seems to be springs.
In fact, I would rather have a 2wd with an aussie locker, then a stock 4wd Explorer. It works that good.

I have heard a loc rite is about the same thing as aussie. Aussie makes no locker for the 14 bolt.

However.
The owner of the truck with said 14 bolt, wants a bit of bling. I am trying to sway him to a auto locker for the cost and ease,
however, one thing to consider is, a manual locker will wear less. So, I do see this benefit.

Poll time
If ARB, what can he do for a cover? If E locker, what to do about the relaibilty? Is it a motor, or solenoid clutch mechanism?

...I had never seen that thread before...:p:

Thanks for the thread Jon.

I need the same thing. Ill be watching.

On a side not im looking at doing a Full Spool

I looked at both the Lockrite and the Aussie. They look almost identical. When shopping around, I got a better deal on the Lockrite. I have had no problems with it whatsoever. It does not click a ton on turns, but it does let you know its there. I am very happy with this investment.

Voted for the Detroit because I've been happy with it. Its "off" if you are not on the gas (like taking a sharp turn) but will lock completely and burn rubber when you are on the gas.

BTW you probably already know this but there are two "14 bolts" - the full-floater (9.x" ring gear) and the semi-floater (10.x" ring gear). The Detroit for the semi-floater (~$590) is a little bit more expensive than the full floater (~$420) because it replaces the carrier where as the full floater installs kind of like a lunchbox locker where you just swap out the innards.

EDIT - if the Detroit is a no-go, then my next choice would be the Aussie. Unfortunately, the "GM" section of the Aussie website isnt working properly so we cant really tell how much it is.

Voted for the Detroit because I've been happy with it. Its "off" if you are not on the gas (like taking a sharp turn) but will lock completely and burn rubber when you are on the gas.

BTW you probably already know this but there are two "14 bolts" - the full-floater (9.x" ring gear) and the semi-floater (10.x" ring gear). The Detroit for the semi-floater (~$590) is a little bit more expensive than the full floater (~$420) because it replaces the carrier where as the full floater installs kind of like a lunchbox locker where you just swap out the innards.

EDIT - if the Detroit is a no-go, then my next choice would be the Aussie. Unfortunately, the "GM" section of the Aussie website isnt working properly so we cant really tell how much it is.

aussie makes no 14 bolt 9.5" locker. However I heard aussie and loc rite are the same design. Loc rite does make one for 14 bolt semi float.

Ah well that poll is misleading ;)

Ah well that poll is misleading ;)

Ok, I know
Try reading the first post again. I thought I had it all in there.

But then I confuse myself--

...It wasn't only me...:p:

...My .02...It all depends on what you can afford, the application you are looking for, the maintenance, and also the accessories you can add...

...The Aussie locker, cheap, reliable, and reputable as some of the other brands of auto lockers do not have good install instructions, specs for the install, or will give you a headache when trying to get answers from them...(This I have read)

...The Detroit Locker, a bit pricey compared to the Aussie, but reputable and as Izwack so eloquently stated...

Its "off" if you are not on the gas (like taking a sharp turn) but will lock completely and burn rubber when you are on the gas.

...The ARB air locker, pricey too, reputable, and a lot of places around the country have these in stock...If you get the "Big" air compressor(CKMA12), you can not only run your locker with it, you now have OBA (On Board Air) to fill up your tires, air mattresses, etc...;)

..The OX lockers, I have heard good things from the few I have seen that own them but, my previous stated items can serve most applications for a lot less...:dunno:

I have yet to purchase a locker, but have always been more interested of the Aussie locker for the 8.8. But if i owned a larger axle then it would be Detroit Locker for an automatic and OX locker for manual.

Aussie & Lock right are only on when applying the gas as well. Off with no pedal. So coasting around a turn, or light throttle is the way to turn.
See I know they say that but I see lunchbox lockers more as a "limited grip" unit, just like the stock "Limited Slip" differential (which should be renamed "limited grip"). In other words, there is a point where the unit will eventually unratchet and go "bang" - which means its not 100% locked. This can be an advantage in that, if set up properly, it should help save axle shafts by slipping the side that has the most stress before the axle shaft or U-joint is destroyed. But the downside of course is that the axle is never 100% locked -- at least thats how I see it.

My D44 kept breaking axle shafts I think because it wasnt set up properly (like most lunchbox lockers out there). I think if I still had it, I would have "tuned" the locker (by playing with the springs) to find just the right preload that allows the vehicle to ratchet while turning on dry pavement (cauz mine never ratcheted). Its like walking that fine line so that the locker doesnt destroy axle shafts but also gives you enough grip to go over your target obstacles.

Powertrax for street driven (good on road manners) and Detroit for a dedicated off road vehicle (strong, reliable, no seals or airlines to blow out)

I added Powertrax in the list of choices. Thanks Brian

Iz, I see your line of thinking. I am only speaking from experience with a lock rite locker.

I don't see how the locker would separate when applying power to it. I have been almost straight up and down, and it did not slip once. I have been over almost every terrain you can think of with it now, from Moab to the wet loose MTN climbs in CO, to the back woods in my area, it has never slipped. It is fully locked. It might not be spooled, or welded to one pc, but the mesh is so that it would be impossible to separate and slip when on the throttle. The springs are small, just enough to separate it with no power applied. This is how it is on mine. I cant speak for all the rest out there. I dont think one needs to spend a small fortune to get the results they want. If your going with a massive build, then I imagine you have the money in the first place, so go for the expensive stuff. But if your like me, and have very little to no money, I believe the lunchbox lockers are the way to go.

no vote

I won't vote,,,,yet.

I just installed an Aussie (and re-geared) and completed my first off road run with it.

Off road, it works, period.

Getting to the trails is another story. It seems to create torque steer. I expected something on freeway curves when getting on and off the accelerator but I didn't expect it when going straight.

On sweeping curves you have under-steer on the gas and over-steer when coasting.

When going straight with the tent trailer, it would jump to the right, then come back straight. If you reacted to the jump to the right, you would be over-corrected when it straightenend out. Hard to get used to.

I'm still evaluating, just didn't have the scratch for a selectable. :rolleyes:

I agree on the road manners. However, you will get used to it.
The Aussie locker is rated pretty low for towing I might add.

All of the manual lockers are better for this, since they can be completely turned off.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Powertrax and lock rite are the same thing, just one is a bit smoother on the street. I have the powertrax in mine, and I'm very happy with it. I don't see a point in having a selectable locker in the rear, unless you have rear steer. The auto ones work fine. Another question is what size tire are you running, what gears, stock or upgraded shafts? Added stress? I think the detroit is a stronger product then the powertrax, but we are missing info here.:( So I didn't vote

Back