• Register Today It's free!

Which fuel octaine for a V8?

NJExplorerFan

Reaction score
City, State
New Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Limited
I was wondering what fuel grade you guys are running your V8 Explorers? Does it run better on 87, 92 or 93 octaine? Which ones does the factory recommend?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

87. Anything else is wasting money.

87. Anything else is wasting money.

x2.
The engine is calibrated for 87, to take advantage of 92 the engine needs a custom tune. . .

Wasting money or not I see the difference on what 15 cents more ill pay he 3.00 and get more gas mileage and no noise especially when its mobil gas just my opinion, its worth it to me

I don't know if it is in my head or not but I feel the diff. Our truck dosent call for synthetic oil or Diff fluid but like me and most of the gearheads on this site opt to go with the highher grade...why not use highest grade gas that is running through your engine at least once a week...

Because it isn't a high compression engine. Oils are different- synthetic does work better in some applications. Running premium gas is a waste of money.

HERE is an interesting link

If anything, buy gas from a major supplier, like Shell, Mobil, etc... The smaller shops like Sam's Club, Wal-Mart, Quick Mart, and Costco per US law can run tier 2 gases which can have lesser grade detergents and allow build up on fuel system parts. In that sense you get what you pay for, but as far as grades of gas, anything but 87 is a waste of $ unless your engine requires it.

I agree w/ Joe. Techron is another worthwhile additive for occasional use.

I've heard that a higher octaine fuel helps "clean" the engine better. So maybe it's a good idea to fill up with 93 octaine every so often?

Higher octane fuel simply means the combustion of the fuel takes longer. The detergent package is typically the same regardless of octane (within brand).

Agreed with the last several posts. Higher octanes are only needed at higher compressions (either high compression NA or forced induction). It's the same principal that makes e85 so good for the turbo guys, high compression = high octane.

All major brand gases contain more than enough detergents to keep fuel systems clean, premium will not have any more than regular. They go through all of those thoughts in the link I posted above...

Save the $$, Premium isn't helping you or your truck any more than Regular unleaded. They just give it a heart-wrenching name for people that love their cars to get them to run it.

Touce Joe that is a prettty good site I was misinformed about the whole higher octane concept in my mind it preforms better with 93 now i gotta try 87 and see for myself...thanks for the info

No prob- there are so many things to spend money on now-a-days no need to spend more than needed! :thumbsup:

Ohh yeah now i can start saving for my KM2's and soft 8's its definately not a time to spend extra cash even if its only 4 bucks a tank...

That's a case of Dr. Pepper! :D

Ford Dealership suggests using Higher Octane i.e. (more than 87 Octane) like 94 Octane for short time only. 94 Octane is good for cleaning fuel system at least in Chevron Gas who claims 94 octanes has additional additives.

i run 93 octane, with a custom performance tune from hensonperformance.com

Zero, thats a total different subject lol...

you run 93 cause you have a pure bolt on beast under the hood lol :thumbsup:

I ran 89 for 1 month in my V6 to see if there was a difference in my gas mileage from running 87. I noticed a small gain, but not enough to keep running 89, as prices are going up...

once in a while is good to run a tank of 93. just stick with 87, and a bottle of fuel system cleaner once in a while, and you'll be good. until you step up to the modified section when you get into tuning...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

he asked what i ran i swear!! but yes, 87 with twice annual system cleaning will work wonders for you, i stand by Z-max with utter loyalty btw, i run there fuel and oil additive twice a year.

Back