A/C smell? Drain clogged? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

A/C smell? Drain clogged?

johnzenobia

Reaction score
2007 Eddie Bauer Exlporer. When a/c is first on there is a bad smell from vents. The ford service center told me it was a clogged a/c drain plug or the drip pan for the a/c needs to be cleaned out. However he wouldn't tell me how to do it and wanted me to bring in for service ( out of warranty). Would someone please help me or share your thoughts on a similar problem. thanks

John

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Easy way to ck start it up turn the ac on high and wait a few mins if you don't have a wet spot under your Ex than chances are the dealer is right. The tube runs from the Evap box just locate your box and look for a tube leading away that doesn't connect to anything if it's blocked on the outside you can simply remove the obstruction if it's not you can snake a wire in and try to clean it out (water should pour out so be ready)

Ok started up and turned a/c on high and your right NO water dripping. Too late to look now but any ideas on where evap box is at? In engine area or in cabin? thanks for the tip

Pretty sure it's on the inside never done this before but that is where I would start. Never even been inside an 07 before but I would start by pulling the glove box this usually gives a good look at the evap box you may have to pull the kick panel and pull the carpet back a little to find the drain tube. The tube will exit the vehicle either near the floor board or at the firewall it's going to be hard to see in the engine compartment but if you find it inside the cab at least you can follow it out. Let me know if this helps.

On my '08 it drains at rear of the truck. I noticed mine dripping and looked at what it was. That's how I found it.

So worked most of the afternoon on it and still couldnt find it, just going to take it to the dealer. thanks I am going to ask the dealer to show me where it was at and I will let you know.

The drip at the rear is for the rear AC...

My A/C in the rear hasn't work in over 9 months.

I just dropped my 07 off at the dealer this morning for the same smell. They mentioned fixing it under my extended warranty. I'll post up what they end up doing.

Anyone find out anything conclusive? Just out of curiousity took the wife's 07 Limited for a ride last night and almost threw up in my mouth when I turned on the A/C. The stink was tremendous. How do I fix this myself without attempted sodomy by my dealer?

Anyone find out anything conclusive? Just out of curiousity took the wife's 07 Limited for a ride last night and almost threw up in my mouth when I turned on the A/C. The stink was tremendous. How do I fix this myself without attempted sodomy by my dealer?

No I haven't worked anymore on this, I tried to find the drain tube with no luck so I gave up. It's almost the end of a/c season.

My 2008 is doing the same thing. Where is the drain line located for the front A/C and Rear A/C?

find out the problem

Did the dealer fix the problem and if so what did they do?

I just dropped my 07 off at the dealer this morning for the same smell. They mentioned fixing it under my extended warranty. I'll post up what they end up doing.

Dripping on exhaust pipe

my a/c water is dripping on the exhaust pipe and sizzling is that normal?

I think the official name of it is, "evaporator core drain." I have the Ford service dvd and the dvd mentions clearing an obstruction from it, but doesn't show a picture. Evaporator core looks to be near the heater core though. I might look further. These dvd's show everything, but the problem is finding it, there's so much information. Update....I just checked the Haynes manual and it says, "Look for the evaporator drain hose on the floorpan, directly above the transmission; to remove it for cleaning or for removing the evaporator, simply pull off."
There's a very small picture, but hard to make heads or tails of.

I seem to be having the same problem. A clogged drain leading to mildew smell when AC is on.

Any idea where the drain is located?
Thanks

evap drain

The evap drain is on the drivers side trans tunnel.it is black and rectangular shaped.it is above the front electrical connector of trans at top of tunnel.it is hard to see because of wiring harness and shifter cable.just cleaned one in my shop.:thumbsup:

The evap drain is on the drivers side trans tunnel.it is black and rectangular shaped.it is above the front electrical connector of trans at top of tunnel.it is hard to see because of wiring harness and shifter cable.just cleaned one in my shop.:thumbsup:

Is this the air conditioning drain? Should I spray a mixture of scented bleach and water mixed together and spay mixture into pipe to kill mold smell?

sizeimage.php

sizeimage.php

fished vaccum line into drain, it went in about 6 inches

sizeimage.php

Regular pump sprayer, mixed scented bleach and water.
smell of mold is gone, I did run truck for 1/2 hr there is a small amount of water dripping (1 drip every 5 seconds) not enought to get the driveway wet! I must have a clogged drain? how do you unclog drain?

That is the drain. I use compressed air to blow them out. Did you have water draining before. Or just since you sprayed cleaner in you may have cleared drain with your cleaner.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

We have a 2010 explorer 4dr with a/c - the vehicle appears to collect water in the drain area of the a/c box & retains that water causing an odor. we can pull the blower out & remove water from the lowest portions of the case & it is ok for a week or so. It will, by then, have collected enough water to mold & smell again. The drain is clear. The ports in the lower portion of the case are open and clear. It appears that the right side off the accumulating area is somewhat lower than the drain area. Any information on a correction to this problem other than dismantling the lower unit & cleaning out the stale condensation periodically. does Ford offer any permanent solutions?

we took apart the lower part of the case and alot of the duct work - cleaned out the drain however it wasn't obstructed. we didn't find a cabin air filter but we did find some pine needles and blew out the system clearing any obstructions - we sprayed in some cleaner and it was good for about 2 weeks - then that same moldy odor reappeared again.

Back