Av track message & grind when put into park | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Av track message & grind when put into park

rocco123

Reaction score
City, State
Endicott, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT & 2002 Limited
I have a 02 Limited 4.6 V8 explorer. Av Track off message displayed, Av track "disengage switch" would not turn it back on or off, & 4wd lo & hi lights on. Eng would rev, but wouldnt move in "drive" or reverse. When wife started to put it into park, it seems like gears were grinding. When I came home and ran it I had the same initial results, after shifting to drive & reverse it wouldn't move & would grind in park, but after going into drive & reverse & pushing the 4wd lo button it started to come around & now works OK. Could be something is wet? Pretty rainy here in Endicott Ny today.

I have added a ground strap to the tranny a few months ago as we are always getting the avtrack light, & thought it couldn't hurt getting a better ground. This is the 1st time an explorer had stuck us being unable to move.

Posted this several months ago in "Under the hood", and we still frequently get the av track off lights and 4x4 hi & lo flash 8 blinks every few minutes. but at least the truck moves. I have reset it several times by disconnecting pos terminal of batt & grounding, then ignition on & hit brake but problem still comes back. Innova 3160 & Autel US703 scanners would not show fault so I returned them.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

4x4 module, or hall effects sensors. not sure if aftermarket scanner can do 4x4.

that year has 2 modules for it, if you put the wrong one in, it does fry the second its connected.

the part that boggles me is the grinding, since that could be the trans or xfer case.

you would need a scanner that does 4x4 on those trucks.

The grinding is probably and I am guessing, from the park pawl trying to ingage and the trans is turning internally, because the T Case is in a neutral position.

Not sure why the transfer case would have been turning as the vehicle was stopped completely. The sensors I will check as I understand there are front and rear speed sensors on the transfer case (along with the "magnetic clutch coil"). My limited understanding is that when a wheel slips the mag clutch would activate and allow the front driveshaft to turn...right? What about the DTR (digital transmission Range) sensor? I have seen a post stating that a guy cleaned his transfer case sensors and had no further problems with the 4x4 / advance track lights. This problem seems to only occur when it's damp out, as I havent seen any problems for the past few days since it's been dry here.

i would really research scanners.

i have seen my snap on scanner pull no codes, and my ids pull codes on the same vehicle.

rocco123----The transfer case was probably stuck in a position between High and Low, a gear change, done by the T case shift motor, which made a neutral in the T case. When drive and reverse was selected, engine running, the trans shifted to those gears turning the internal parts in the Transmission, they would continue to turn and when Park was selected the Park Pawl would be trying to engage moving parts, thus the grinding. Same as trying to put in Park while moving. Don't move the (DTR) Digital Trans Range Switch as it requires a gauge to properly position it. In Auto 4X4 the PCM uses the ABS sensors for engaging the magnetic clutch, when wheel slip is detected. The left and right front and the one in the rear diff. You may have a damaged wire connector that is a letting moisture in causing a short at the sensor, remove clean and coat with die electric grease and reinstall.

I've cleaned the left & right connectors (front & rear). Didn't see a connector for the diff. Didn't touch the DTR. Also, verified movement of Tcase motor, but find that the internal switch assy for the motor is a sealed unit unlike my '94 that hung up once. I also checked the sensors in the Tcase for debris..none found. I should have checked the mag clutch brown wire for continuity when I depinned it to pull the motor. Most of my experience is in aircraft maintenance. I hate to shotgun parts & would prefer to diagnose somehow. Thanks for all of the responses.

Back