Why is Darth Vader living in my oem airbox?? and a few other problems | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Why is Darth Vader living in my oem airbox?? and a few other problems

FF00RD

Reaction score
City, State
Aussie here
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Limited
Hey guys,

Can anyone help out with these issues I am having...

1) when the car is running it sounds like something is making the explorer suck in a tonne of extra air. It cuts in and out regularly and it's really loud. Makes it sounds like Vader's breathing!!!! Engine is an 02' 4.6 2v limited.
Does anyone elses do this? I have watched videos of others cars and none seem to do it. The car doesn't idle perfectly either..... what could it be???

2) My message centre AVG fuel moves around like crazy.. It regularly goes to 0.0mpg (or 99L/100) then increase/decreases before spiking again. It's driving me nuts.

I seem to get an average of 200 miles using 18.4 gallons
or 321km to 70L
this seems pretty poor!!!

anyone know what's going on??

Note: I accidently put this in the stock forum by accident.. don't know how to move it. Can anyone help?

I had the same issue, and when it occurs it seemed to run rough & would cut in & out. Try disconnecting the connector on the IAC (idle air control) from the throttle body (valve facing front of vehicle), and see if it stops making the noise but will idle badly. I fixed mine by replacing the IAC a few weeks ago. The are not cheap... around $70. I have the same vehicle...2002 Limited W/4.6L end. This valve ended up being the more expensive IAC, but i believe will fix the problem & could also increase your mileage.

Hi Rocco, thanks for the advice.

I'll look up the prices of them here in Australia. Might have to ship it from the USA as we get slugged pretty badly for parts! Where did you get your IAC if you don't mind me asking??

Thanks!! :)

Bought mine at Autozone in Endicott, NY. This problem was driving me nuts for such a long time until I figured I would just unplug the sensor to see what happened. I still have an intermittant vibration at idle, but it's nothing like it used to be. Take care "Mate".

Back