White wire with yellow stripe in door jam | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

White wire with yellow stripe in door jam

jd92887

Reaction score
City, State
Omaha, NE
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 XLT - 1993 XLT
I am trying to track down a problem, my passenger window will not go up or down, no noise nothing. I looked on the driver door boot, and found one wire that was broke, it just looks like the plastic is broke, not the actual metal. Anyone know what this wire is for?
It is white with a yellow stripe.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am trying to track down a problem, my passenger window will not go up or down, no noise nothing. I looked on the driver door boot, and found one wire that was broke, it just looks like the plastic is broke, not the actual metal. Anyone know what this wire is for?
It is white with a yellow stripe.

Does the window work from the passenger side switch?

According to my wiring diagrams, the white/yellow wire is for the front passenger window.

Don't assume the wire isn't bad. I would thoroughly check the boot for broken/damaged wires.

Here is the thread for removing the door panel: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums//showthread.php?t=303524

Here is a great thread for checking for broken/damaged wires, thanks to synyster for this awesome write-up: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums//showthread.php?t=270081

Be sure to take your time when looking for broken/damaged wire(s). Check all the wires for breaks/damage. When you think you're done looking, look again, and again, and again. A bright flashlight can be very helpful.

Here is a great link for troubleshooting the power windows, thanks to theofam for this great link Dead Link Removed

Good luck and be sure to keep us posted. :biggthump

Ok, I believe the problem is this wire, it doesn't work from the passenger side either.
I'll try to fix it this week, not much room in there to fix it though

not sure if the wiring diagrams are different for a 2002 compared to a 2004, but the yellow and white wire is one of the bigger wires in the boot on my 04. Is this still the wire for the passenger window?

Hi
i have the same symptom in my 03 xlt. Checked the wires in the boot and nothing looks broken. Did you have any luck with a fix?

BTW, when the symptom first appeared, i squeezed the wire loom between driver door and body and hte window worked. After a few more squeezes of the loom it stopped working permanently. It looks like the faulty wire is in the rubber boot and was partly connected when i squeezed the loom. I must have broken it completely due to the squeezing. I just need to know which wire(s) go to the front passenger window from the master switch and i'll splice in a replacement. Passenger switch does nothing as well.

Yes, there was a broken wire, it was brown with a light blue stripe. I just pulled on each wire separately and this one came out and was broken.

fixed my problem this morning. I used the steps posted by BigRondo to trace the electrical problem and determined there was no juice getting to the passenger adjust switch. I then went to the driver side boot and pulled on the WH/YE wire and sure enough, it came right out of the boot. Snapped in half. I spliced a replacement and all is well. Pain the butt putting all the crap back on the door! With all the wires in there, it could be any of them that could fail. The constant swinging of the door will eventually break many of them.

fixed my problem this morning. I used the steps posted by BigRondo to trace the electrical problem and determined there was no juice getting to the passenger adjust switch. I then went to the driver side boot and pulled on the WH/YE wire and sure enough, it came right out of the boot. Snapped in half. I spliced a replacement and all is well. Pain the butt putting all the crap back on the door! With all the wires in there, it could be any of them that could fail. The constant swinging of the door will eventually break many of them.

Nicely done! :D:thumbsup:

Back