• Register Today It's free!

Howling Noise

Iceracer

Reaction score
City, State
Burlington, Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer XLT
I am getting a howl from somewhere in the front end at 120 K's per hour. The vehicle has only 5,000 k's on it. Any one else having this issue?
Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am getting a howl from somewhere in the front end at 120 K's per hour. The vehicle has only 5,000 k's on it. Any one else having this issue?
Thanks
It's probably telling you that you're going too fast. :D
Can you tell if it appears to be a wind or mechanical noise? Earlier models had noise generated by the 'A' pillars but it seems that issue isn't very common anymore. There also is a TSB for a noise but that wouldn't apply to your build. At least it shouldn't;
11-4-6 NOISE FROM FRONT BOLSTER AT HIGHWAY SPEEDS - BUILT ON OR BEFORE 2/4/2011

Does the noise stay steady if you exceed 120kmph?
I think it would likely be a good idea to take it to your dealer. They will have to be able to duplicate the noise in order to diagnose/fix it.

Good luck.

Peter

I'm glad I'm not the only one having this issue! I had this issue while on a road trip this past week. I found the problem really presented itself above 80 MPH but could be slightly heard around 70. Sound increases with speed, and is definitely caused by the climate control system. If I turn off the system or turn on air recirculation the sound stops. I'm really hoping to find a fix for this. I dropped it off with the dealer today but I'm wary of their ability to recreate the issue. Any one else know if this A pillar might be the culprit? The service tech said this is the first complaint he had heard of this.

I'm glad I'm not the only one having this issue! I had this issue while on a road trip this past week. I found the problem really presented itself above 80 MPH but could be slightly heard around 70. Sound increases with speed, and is definitely caused by the climate control system. If I turn off the system or turn on air recirculation the sound stops. I'm really hoping to find a fix for this. I dropped it off with the dealer today but I'm wary of their ability to recreate the issue. Any one else know if this A pillar might be the culprit? The service tech said this is the first complaint he had heard of this.
It seems strange that the climate control system would be the cause. As far as I know vehicle speed shouldn't have any affect on it but then I can't explain why the noise stops when the system is shut off or changed. There is no connection between the climate control and the 'A' pillar. Have you checked to see if it may be the cowl that runs along the bottom of the windshield? I haven't checked to see if the climate control system draws air through the cowl or not but the cabin air filter is located under the cowl on the passenger side so it is possible that is where the air is drawn through. You can try taping that down and see if it makes a difference.

Peter

do you have roof racks?

They can howl depending where they're located. Ours were fine and made zero noise, then when I waxed the explorer the other weekend I must have tightened them down in a slightly more forward position than previously, now it howls at 80 mph.Just need to slide them back a tad again and it'll go away. Just something to double check.

Thanks for the feedback. I havent been able to get it to the dealer due to business travel but will do asap.

I am getting a howl from somewhere in the front end at 120 K's per hour. The vehicle has only 5,000 k's on it...

Hi Iceracer,

Have you given Ford Canada a call so they can assist? Give 'em a ring at 1-800-565-3673; I know they'll be happy to help. :)

I'm glad I'm not the only one having this issue! I had this issue while on a road trip this past week. I found the problem really presented itself above 80 MPH but could be slightly heard around 70. Sound increases with speed, and is definitely caused by the climate control system. If I turn off the system or turn on air recirculation the sound stops. I'm really hoping to find a fix for this. I dropped it off with the dealer today...

Hi Worthlessbackup,

Send your information my way so I can look into this. All I need to get started is a PM from you with your VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name.

Thanks!

Crystal

I have found the noise to be the wind coming thru the windshield wiper frames. If you turn on your wipers at that speed you will notice the noise goes away while the wipers are at the top of the sequence. Does it everytime and everytime the noise goes away at the top. Looks like just a design flaw as there are little spaces or slits on the wiper frames. Just my .03 keep the change

Sorry for the slow followup on this. Life and whatnot getting in the way of hopping on the computer.

After dropping the vehicle off at the dealership, I received a call from the service manager who told me they were able to reproduce the sound only briefly while passing a semi at higher interstate speeds. I was told that after he researched the issue, it was determined that the problem comes from some air inlet by the windshield. He told me that this has been documented and is known by Ford, however they consider it a "characteristic" of the vehicle and offer no engineering solution or fix since the problem can be rectified by placing the climate control system in recirculation mode.

This is my first Ford vehicle. I have owned a two Toyotas and an Audi prior to this. Each of these vehicles had their quirks, issues and ailments. However, all these issues were fixed by the dealership and never have I been told before to essentially pack sand because there is no fix for the problem. Having to live with an issue and train my wife to use the recirculation mode when she hears the sound is not a characteristic of a quality vehicle, in my opinion.

The dealership was very helpful and I don't particularly hold an issue against them for this, and I fear the problem may be higher up the chain. Still, this seems like a really simple thing to fix if someone tried to, instead of just ignoring it.

Hi Iceracer,

Have you given Ford Canada a call so they can assist? Give 'em a ring at 1-800-565-3673; I know they'll be happy to help. :)

Hi Worthlessbackup,

Send your information my way so I can look into this. All I need to get started is a PM from you with your VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name.

Thanks!

Crystal

Crystal, thank you for your assistance. I do appreciate the effort that Ford is putting in their customer relations online.

I have found the noise to be the wind coming thru the windshield wiper frames. If you turn on your wipers at that speed you will notice the noise goes away while the wipers are at the top of the sequence. Does it everytime and everytime the noise goes away at the top. Looks like just a design flaw as there are little spaces or slits on the wiper frames. Just my .03 keep the change
I would guess that the design of the wipers hasn't change for the 2011. Mine has the same slots cut into the wipers and there is absolutely no howling or any other noise from them. I'd still be curious if that is the problem since air would still be flowing through and around the wipers no matter which position they are in. The fact that they are not in a horizontal position, probably changes the wind flow over the cowl to some degree. Just a guess though. My 5 cents worth of input. (we don't have the penny anymore) ;)

Peter

I finally was able to drop my vehicle off this morning. It is disturbing that Worthlessbackup got the feedback that he did. I have been driving Fords for many years. This is my first Explorer and if I have to live with this noise for the next 3 or 4 years it will be my last Ford. It seems hard to believe that with all of the design research that is done (wind tunnels etc) that this flaw could be missed.
It was windy here on the weekend and the howling started at 100K (62 MPH). I sure hope someone doesnt think that this is a good warning that I have reached the speed limit.
I'll keep you informed. BTW Chrystal - thanks very much for the number for Ford Canada. I may be using it.

I got a call and from the dealership and they confirmed that they heard the noise as well. I left the car overnight so that they can take it out again this morning to see if they can figure it out. One issue I have is that I need to travel to PA and back in the next couple of days and am really hoping that this can be fixed. I will keep you informed.
BTW - like Worthlessbackup's experience with his dealership the staff at the one I am going to are very polite and helpful as well.

If the Dealer doesn't fix it for one reason or another....If the noise bothers you on the trip.....Stop at a truck stop and buy a roll of Duck tape. Put a strip clear across the bottom of the windshield, and tape down the rubber valance strip that rests on the windshield below the wipers. This should be a temp fix until the Dealer can replace....best regards Plum

If the Dealer doesn't fix it for one reason or another....If the noise bothers you on the trip.....Stop at a truck stop and buy a roll of Duck tape. Put a strip clear across the bottom of the windshield, and tape down the rubber valance strip that rests on the windshield below the wipers. This should be a temp fix until the Dealer can replace....best regards Plum
Duct tape. The handyman's answer to every problem. I always keep a roll or two handy. :D:thumbsup:

Peter

Update - vehicle was left for a day but the noise wasn't corrected. Its back there again and then I'm taking it on vacation for two weeks with a lot of driving involved. If they cant find the problem it will be irritating to say the least. The dealer contacted Ford but as of today did not have a response from them.
I didn't tape the strip on the windshield but did get some noise from that area as well but it isn't the original noise. More info to follow.

This is most likely the 'A' pillar problem. On the left and right of the windshield, press with your fingers the top of the black vertical pillar, they should not flex at all. If fell a flex, that the source of the noise at high speed.
The climate system blocks the noise when you put circulation on and you hear the noise when you let fresh air in.

The a pillar trim has been diagnosed. Parts on order but I am on a long road trip now. Howling is irrating as heck. I sure hope that is correct, I will let you know if it works.

Howling noise 2013 Explorer

we have had our base model 2013 explorer in the shop 3 times- for persistent howling/humming/harmonic-same tone noise at any hwy speed- that cannot be ignored. A/C on/fresh-NOT MAX-HWY speeds-starting at about 65 mph and then definitely at 70 mph and up. get behind a tractor-trailer or in a long curve-noise fades-then back to full decibels when straight and clear-happens when sunny&hot or cloudy&humid. about 3,000 miles on the odometer. the 1st time we brought it in, they had us wait for 3 hrs and said it was fixed-but NOT! the next 2 times its been in the shop for a week or more at a time. we bought this type of vehicle for specific reasons: the cargo and the 7 passenger capacity. but we are unable to carry on our normal lives in small, temporary "loaners".:thumbdwn::fire::hammer::help::feedback:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

we have had our base model 2013 explorer in the shop 3 times- for persistent howling/humming/harmonic-same tone noise at any hwy speed- that cannot be ignored...

Hi karentoby1,

I want to bring this to the attention of your regional customer service manager so they can help. Send me a PM with your VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name; I'll get your info into the right hands.

Crystal

Back