2004 No Start, No Fuel w/ P0191 and P0193 Codes | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2004 No Start, No Fuel w/ P0191 and P0193 Codes

FordFool2

Reaction score
City, State
Cedar Rapids, IA
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 Eddie Bauer & 13 Ltd
The 2004 V8 just died on us last Thursday. I verified no fuel getting to engine since it would start and run (momentarily) on starting fluid.

On Saturday we hooked up to Snap-On diagnostic unit and it provided codes:

P0191 - Fuel rail pressure sensor circuit, range or performance problem
P0193 - Fuel rail pressure sensor circuit, high input

I suspected that the Fuel Rail Pressure Temperature (FRPT) sensor was bad. Ordered new one and just installed it. No better.

Looking for advice on how to further troubleshoot this circuit.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just an update, I accessed the Fuel Pump Driver Module (under right rear trim panel) and found voltage supplied to the Fuel Pump but nothing returning. In other words, there was an open in the Fuel Pump Motor. I ordered a new pump assembly and then came the hard work. Disconnected lines, connectors, drained tank, lowered tank, and replaced the pump assembly. All is well now. I got a locked in check engine light when it started and read it as P0193. We reset it and its been fine for a couple weeks now.

Just an update, I accessed the Fuel Pump Driver Module (under right rear trim panel) and found voltage supplied to the Fuel Pump but nothing returning. In other words, there was an open in the Fuel Pump Motor. I ordered a new pump assembly and then came the hard work. Disconnected lines, connectors, drained tank, lowered tank, and replaced the pump assembly. All is well now. I got a locked in check engine light when it started and read it as P0193. We reset it and its been fine for a couple weeks now.

Are you saying that a P0193 code, "Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor Circuit High Input" turned out to be caused ny a bad fuel pump? Concerned, because I got that code 2 years ago, replaced the Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor, and it has run fine since. imp

Let me clarify. The truck would not start or run, it was starved for fuel. The pump was bad. When I troubleshot I must have disconnected the fuel rail pressure sensor and cranked the engine and that may have thrown in the code.

Let me clarify. The truck would not start or run, it was starved for fuel. The pump was bad. When I troubleshot I must have disconnected the fuel rail pressure sensor and cranked the engine and that may have thrown in the code.

Ahhh...comes the dawn! Thank you! Excuse me for being so critical in my wording. I'm getting a P0193 and went out and bought the sensor, have not installed it yet.

The thought of the pump causing the P0193 was scary. Lots of miles (133,000) on the original pump! imp

Back