• Register Today It's free!

Another P0193 Code Question

Dustmonster

Reaction score
City, State
Tucson Az
Year, Model & Trim Level
'04 XLT
My 2004 4wd Explorer CEL is on. Not running poorly other than a small miss (140,000 mi). 4.0 flex fuel motor.
Auto Zone ran the check and code P0193 shows. Thier list of cures is in order as follows;
1 Change Fuel Pump
2 Change Fuel Pressure Regulator
3 Change Fuel Filter (already done)
4 Replace Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor
Most of the posts that I have read in this forum have swayed torards the Sensor but Auto Zone is swaying towards the pump. Considering that neither will be a pleasure to do I would like to narrow my choices.
Is my thinking correct in that if I can hook up a fuel pressure guage, a low pressure reading will tell me to change the pump whereas a good pressure reading will tell me the sensor is bad?
Also where does the regulator fall in line here and is there a specific test that I can do on this unit seperatly?:scratch:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Update

Went to Auto Zoone this morning and rented a fuel presure test guage only to bring it home and find that I don't have a schrader valve in the front of my fuel rail (or any place else that I can see). Looking at the kit I figured that I could use the universal "T" fitting to snap one end into the female of my fuel inlet line and the supplied hose & clamp for the male side. Looked good untill I applied pressure. The universal "T" is not universal to me--too small to seal.
I'm no back to square one.
Since I've had this light for over a month now and the truck seems to be running fine, I'm thinking that it is more a sensor issue than the fuel pump. If the pump were bad wouldn't it have quit by now?

I had the same error code on my 04. The consensus on this forum was that I had a bad fuel rail pressure sensor. I figured as much as the truck ran fine, no misses or anything. I replaced the sensor and it fixed my problem. I would recommend staying away from Autozone for your replacement sensor. NAPA was able to get the sensor in a day and they were comparable in price to Rockauto.

I ended up at the Ford dealer for mine. A word of caution here for those of you not used to buying from dealerships---
The dealership on the North side of town quoted me $125.00 for the sensor. Since it was closer to my home I ended up going to another dealership on the East side to actually buy it , thinking that the price would be the same.
When I got there and they handed me the part, the clerk anounced "that comes to $230.00"!!! I asked where the price difference was since the other dealer had quoted me the $125 and he dropped the price to $115.00 claiming that they were offering me the "shop discount".
I really believe that dealers realize that we expect to pay outrageous prices for parts and services through them so that is what they charge unless you question them.

I ended up at the Ford dealer for mine. A word of caution here for those of you not used to buying from dealerships---
The dealership on the North side of town quoted me $125.00 for the sensor. Since it was closer to my home I ended up going to another dealership on the East side to actually buy it , thinking that the price would be the same.
When I got there and they handed me the part, the clerk anounced "that comes to $230.00"!!! I asked where the price difference was since the other dealer had quoted me the $125 and he dropped the price to $115.00 claiming that they were offering me the "shop discount".
I really believe that dealers realize that we expect to pay outrageous prices for parts and services through them so that is what they charge unless you question them.

Another Update

Everything put back together after changing the fuel rail pressure sensor. This wasn't as bad as I thought considering it being under the intake manifold.
I found that the one back bolt on the drivers side that seems to give everyone trouble can be made easier to access with the use of a wobble extension. From the drivers side used my right hand to locate the bolt and dropped the extension and bit in from the top with my left.
Removed a good deal of oil from inside and on the flanges of the intake. Changed the PCV valve.
All that's left is to drive it and hope the light doesn't come back on. If OK I'll regester it this Saturday and be on the trails in the Santa Ritas Sunday!

Last Update

Drove 82.5 miles with no CEL. Changed plugs & air filter this morning.
Went through AZ Emissions and PASSED with flying colors. Back on the road.
Total cost (without tune up items);
Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor-$115
Intake Gaskets $32
Carb Cleaner $5
Degreaser $4.50
Asprin $6
This sure beats bringing it to the Dealer or even a local shop!!!
:thumbsup::)

Back