I come to realize my 1st gen headlights are crap | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I come to realize my 1st gen headlights are crap

My oringinal headlights were so bad they looked like frosted white plastic. So I purchased a new set of aftermarket lights. Lenses are clear again but still felt the light output was lacking. Never really thought much about them years ago. But with all the new HID and projector lighting on newer cars and trucks the halogen 9004 bulbs were just not satisfying my need for better lighting. So I decided to do a HID Projector upgrade. Found a couple people here who done it already so that gave me some ideas to follow. Decided to go with the largest projector I could find found some Bi-Xenon for a Nissan Murano for $75.00 purchase the ballast and igniters for $100.00 re-ordered another pair of the $53.00 aftermarket lights to do the retro on. Would of done it on my old OEM lights but I through them away before I decided to do this project.
And a pair of new Philip D2S 43K bulbs $50.00. Thought about getting those clear lens lights but at 200.00 a pair I didn't want to spend that much to get them. I saw one person who used the fluted lens on his retro and the light didn't look that bad. Was still very bright way brighter then the OEM halogens. I tried separating the lens in the oven but would not separate so I cut the lens off with a bandsaw. I ended up cutting out a 4" circle from the fluted lens and glued in a clear piece into the lens instead of vacuum forming a whole new lens. Without going into to much detail I have pictures. The retro is not completed yet I am adding in some LED's into the light waiting for those parts to come in before I seal everything up. Also I'm probably going to have to trim out some metal off the X the area directly behind the headlights to clear the huge dust cover I made. I wanted a big cover for ease of changing out the bulbs. That is no problem nobody will see it. I used 4" black ABS pipe to make my dust cover.

_57_zpsf1408e9c.jpg

DSCN2011_zps42034c95.jpg

DSCN2008_zps8c372712.jpg

DSCN2012_zps3e6370c2.jpg

DSCN2019_zps71d8efe4.jpg

DSCN2025_zps5c723b22.jpg

DSCN2026_zps522f5fce.jpg

DSCN2069_zps88b30953.jpg

DSCN2076_zpsbcaa3a90.jpg

I added a amber led strip inside the light gives it a neat effect. I also will have an amber led light ring an angel eye around the projector. I think it will look cool..

DSCN2080_zpsfce907cd.jpg

DSCN2087_zps0e075259.jpg

Some up date. I was doing my test fit couple weeks ago and discovered I had done a big noob mistake!!! I mounted the projectors upside down. I thought the high beam sheild went on top but when I went to activate it the high beam light upside down. So I had to completely tear it back apart. Lucky I used mostly silicone so it was easy to cut apart. So now I have it positioned correctly. It took me some time to get it aligned. I still would like to raise the beam higher up. But I have it adjusted as high as it will go.I probably should of positioned the projector in the housing pointing upwards more. But its hard to tell when your doing it how much you should point it upwards without pointing upwards to much. Its trial and error I suppose being my first HID projector retrofit. I do need another back housing as I broke the plastic where the clips hold the amber reflectors to the housing. I also cut out completely the fluted lens and glued in a complete clear lens and painted the inside all black since it doesn't need the chrome as reflectant any more. Here are some pictures.

DSCN2279_zpsd55f0eb7.jpg

DSCN2270_zps983a23cf.jpg

DSCN2271_zps92337205.jpg

DSCN2263_zps89c967e3.jpg

DSCN2276_zpse7edd987.jpg

DSCN2273_zps7ce2bc28.jpg

Night shots. My driver side light seems to have a brighter light area. Not sure why maybe the position of the bulb. Also both bulbs though I purchase them new as the 4300K when they iginite up they look to be different color one seems more white and the other more yellow. As they are right now I need to tweek them a little more but I am happy with the brightness way way more light then my OEM Halogens. I want to aim the beam higher down the road. But I have them adjusted as high as they can go. Not sure how I can do it without taking them apart again and repositioning the projectors aim higher up. But for now I can live with how they are..

DSCN2289_zpscef36814.jpg

DSCN2291_zps5a418dfb.jpg

DSCN2294_zps5477086c.jpg

Back