How to make an access door to a fuel pump | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to make an access door to a fuel pump

cober

Reaction score
City, State
Russia
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Ford Explorer OHV
Intended to make it long ago, funally done!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm curious as to why you'd want to do this? It only takes about 30 minutes to drop the tank. If you find yourself continuously changing fuel pumps maybe it's time to start exploring why that may be the case.

Bill

Bill I don't get it either. Much easier to drop tank even when full.

Bill I don't get it either. Much easier to drop tank even when full.

I have found it's easier to disconnect the "quick connects" from the top. I also have a access door...

Yes much easier to remove tank.

cober,

To each his own and it is your vehicle so you can do with it what you want and thanks for contributing to the forum, please keep posting.

I do agree with the others though and anyone else reading this I would not recommend what cober did. You really do not need to disconnect any fittings other than the one to the evap canister so you can lower the tank and one of the electrical connections to replace the fuel pump and the whole fuel pump replacement start to finish is, at the most 2 hours if you have all the tools (floor jack, jack stands, piece of wood, simple sockets and extensions and screwdriver)

Years ago I was able to do mine with all doors closed in a busy grocery store parking lot. Wouldn't have been able to drop the tank there. The pump wouldn't go even after access was cut and I was able to hammer tap the pump assembly itself.
This procedure has it's place. Plus even though odds may against having to replace the pump again, the access is always there.

Years ago I was able to do mine with all doors closed in a busy grocery store parking lot. Wouldn't have been able to drop the tank there. The pump wouldn't go even after access was cut and I was able to hammer tap the pump assembly itself.
This procedure has it's place. Plus even though odds may against having to replace the pump again, the access is always there.

agreed! you never know when your pump die, on a road trip, how you gonna drop the tank? but with this access and extra fuel pump with me - I can do it wherever I go:rangergreen:

All good points, the video is good too. If you prefer this method or have no jacks or stuck in mud or snow, the video is very good showing where to access.

Back