2" Body Lift Installation on 99 Ex. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2" Body Lift Installation on 99 Ex.

Adam Berger

Reaction score
City, State
Melbourne, Australia
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLT 4wd
2" Body Lift Installation on 99 Ex with pics.

There seems to be alot of posts regarding body lifts on late model Explorers, so after completing mine, I thought I would add my experience in the hope that it may help someone.
I firstly purchased a Performance Accessories 792 2" Body Lift Kit made for 91-94 Explorers. I did alot of reading to make sure I knew what I was doing. The kit came with instructions but I found that this site helped alot:
http://mudmarine.tripod.com/3bodyliftinstall/
It's for a 3", but most steps are useful.
I first removed the front and rear bumpers. I found that doing this first gave more access to front and rear body mounts (they need to be modified later anyway). Next I got under the car and checked for anything that might stretch upon lifting. I disconnected the connecter for the towbar, 4 connectors under the passenger side (yankie driver's side) for the transfer case and related items, I didn't have to touch my park brake but I can't vouch for other Explorers. I disconnected the air intake, unbolted the radiator shroud, and most importantly, there are three brake lines clipped to the passenger (yankie driver's) shock tower. You must get these off. After the lift, I found that they no longer reach, so damage would have resulted in skipping this step. Lastly, I unbolted the steering shaft, which may not have been necessary. My steering shaft may have enough length to do a 3" kit.
The next step is to loosen all of the body mount bolts on one side, then remove the bolts from the opposite side. Depending on your year and where you been with you car, this could be very hard to do. I only had two bolts that wouldn't come off. One under the driver's seat which spun while undoing, so I jacked up the car at this point. With the weight of the car, it no longer spun. The other problem was one of the front bolts that was stuck. This turned out to be a two man operation.
After all this, it's just a matter of jacking up the side that is unbolted, sliding in the spacers, putting the new bolts in and repeating on the other side. Not all the bolts in the kit will fit. I found that the short bolts in the kit fit up front and the rear. The old rear bolts can be reused in the cabin, and you will have to pruchase an extra 4 bolts 50mm longer than the standard ones to bolt the rest in the cabin.
Now it's just a matter of reconnecting everything. The radiator shroud needs relocating and the kit comes with brackets. I had the drill out the upper brackets due to the upper radiator hose getting in the way. The end result is that it only dropped 25mm instead of 50mm but there is still enough clearance for the fan. The bottom bracket is in the kit and I just bent it some more to suit. I had to make a drop bracket for the transmission oil cooler lines, but that wasn't a big deal.
The spare tire winch needs to be relocated up 50mm so that the hole lines up in the rear of the car. I used some tubing with longer bolts and added two more fixings to be safe. I'm not sure how strong it is. Only time will tell.
The rear bumper needs to be relocated. I tryed it as it was and it looked shocking. I simply modifed the original brackets so that they lifted it up 25mm which was enough to make it look half descent. The kit comes with brackets, but I'm not sure how they would be of use. The front bumper is a different matter as I have a bullbar. The brackets have to be professionally modifed, so this is as far as I got.
All in all, this job wasn't too bad. It just took a bit of time. If I had the bolts I needed to buy, I would have completed it this weekend, apart from the bullbar. I hope this post helps someone who is considering a body lift.

Attachments

• picture_0191a.jpg
    picture_0191a.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 6,517

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nice Job, It looks nice!

I remember doing the 2" BL back in the day....

This is the front footwell body mount bolt.

Attachments

• picture_0195a.jpg
    picture_0195a.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 6,958

Location of body mount bolt under seat. Shown with seat removed.

Attachments

• picture_0194a.jpg
    picture_0194a.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 6,378

This is the body mount bolt behind the back seat.

Attachments

• picture_0193a.jpg
    picture_0193a.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 7,062

This is the front body mount, shown with the 2" spacer installed. Please note that this mount has to be drilled out with a 1/2" drill bit as it has a thread inside it and the new bolt won't go through.

Attachments

• picture_0198a.jpg
    picture_0198a.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 6,306

This is the radiator shroud bracket. On the other side, is the top radiator hose. The hose's locatation doesn't allow you to use these brackets with the factory holes.

Attachments

• picture_0199a.jpg
    picture_0199a.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 6,387

This is the bracket I made from scratch for the transmission cooler lines. This is inside the large plastic cover under the radiator.

Attachments

• picture_0197a.jpg
    picture_0197a.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 6,304

This is the bracket for the bottom of the radiator shroud and is the one I bent to suit. It was origianlly about 45 degrees, but I bent it 90 degrees as shown.

Attachments

• picture_0196a.jpg
    picture_0196a.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 6,282

This is a picture of how I raised the spare tire winch using the four tubes.

Attachments

• picture_0190a.jpg
    picture_0190a.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 6,281

Here's a better picture of my Ex after the install and after having my bullbar brackets modified. It turned out very nice indeed. The engineers did a fantastic job! If you take a close look under the centre Hella lights, you may notice a small loop on the bullbar. These are my new recovery points which I installed. They are reinforced with 6mm plate steel behind the bullbar bolted to the chassis.

picture_0245a.jpg

Adam,

Very nice description and pitures. I plan to do this lift on my '96 X in the near future and I'll remember this thread for further reference.

One thing, if you're going to refer to us, in America, please captialize the 'y' and use two 'e's. That is: 'Yankee'.

'yankie' makes it sound like you're molesting yourself, if you get my drift. Unless, of course, that was your intent.;)

Regards, Dave.

Why must you take things so seriously? I was only having a bit of fun!

Sorry if it came off that way, no harm intended.

D.

How

¿How did you lift your bumpers?

I wish

I wish I coulda got 40mm out of my TT. All I got was maybe 25. Maybe One day I will put A longer bolt in the yankee driver's side. Maybe I'll do that when I can afford warrior shackles.

The rear bumper has bolt on brackets inside of it. These brackets then bolt to the chassis. All I did was grind a slot downways (existing are horizontal) which allowed me to tighten it up in a higher postion. You may be able to do the same with the chassis end to give you two inches all up. I was thinking of doing this, but haven't got around to it yet. The front was cut and welded two inches higher by an engineering company. I'm not exactly sure how I got the 40mm lift up front. It just worked. I never changed the bolts either. Maybe the Aussie Ex has stiffer springs than alot of the American Ex's, or yours are worn out. I also have the weight of the bullbar to contend with too. I guess I was just lucky in this case.

yankee.
aren;t they the ones who choked and lost to those wicked good Red Sox

I'm just going to bump this thing so I can find it when I need it. ;)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

sweet deal man, Now just take the side skirts off so it looks bigger :thumbsup:

Back