questions about 95+ front diffy... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

questions about 95+ front diffy...

artt

Reaction score
City, State
lala land
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99-'00 Sport?
This forum had proved to be very informative. I read in the past posts that the front differential of 95+ (or 97+?) Explorer is Dana 135(?) and there're no LSD or locker for it, not even Trac Loc. Some talked about axle swap or retro fitting diffy from other model. If this had been discussed before, then I didn't find it w/ the search function.

Anyway, I did a brief search on the internet and this was as far as I could go while still in my underwear(not literally). The rear axle of Ford F-550 is supposedly a solid Dana 135 and according to this old news http://www.theautochannel.com/news/press/date/19990304/press020215.html Tractech will be supplying Truetrac to Ford. On the bottom of this page, Dead Link Removed in the last table, F-550 does have the options of Tru-trac and no-slip(Powertrax?).

Is Dana 135 really the front diffy for late model Explorer? If that's true, any way the LSD for F-550 can fit the IFS of Explorer?

Thanks......

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The F-550 has a Dana series 135 and the Explorer has a Dana series 35. The two are as different as night and day!

Sorry!

Thanks for the reply. It does sounds peculair that F-550 would share similar axle w/ Explorer. So late model Explorer DOES have Dana 35 front?

According to this post, Dead Link Removed and this one http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=21003
Dana 35 is not the front diffy of 97+ model but Sterling Van Kyke is. Well, I'm confused, and so far no one seems to be able to install anything in the front. I'll keep looking.

Hey artt,
The front axle on a 95+ Exploder is a DANA-35 27t. The vehicle comes stock with an open diff. You can get a Powertrax No-Slip diff for this application. Check out there website at http://www.powertrax.com . I just installed a Powertrax No-Slip in my rear diff yesterday, and I love it!!! I listed the part numbers below. Hope this helps... :)

Front# 92-0435-2706 list price is $444.95.
Rear # 92-0688-3108 list price is $459.95.

Both units are available through Jegs or Summit Racing. I ordered mine from Off Road Warehouse (619-422-8689).

Mav, reread those links. Ray Lobato has a '97 and tried to have something installed in the front and I have a '99 and tried to have something installed in the front.

BOTH of us were told it could be done by the 4x4 shop and BOTH of us were informed our diffies were NOT Dana 35's after the installs were attempted.

If you don't believe us then go try to have a front limited slip installed on your '99 and see what happens. You do not want a locker since you cannot unlock your hubs and you have 4wdAuto that you cannot completely turn off.

We are aware all the manuals say that we have a reverse cut Dana 35. That is the source of the confusion and I believe the reason the question was brought up again in this thread.

But we do NOT, at least '97 and later. I am still trying to physically get a look at a '95 and '96 to see if maybe they do.

PS/ Are you planning to join us at the Slabs next weekend?

[Edited by GJarrett on 01-19-2001 at 07:13 AM]

I realize why you could not install a locker into the front of our vehicles (97+), but a limited slip will work, assuming you could find one that fits?
I am planning on installing a powertrax in the rear and was wondering what I could put in the front. Has anyone found anything that will install into the front diff of the newer vehicles? Does ARB even make anything?

I'm gonna try and call Powertrax, to see what they have to say. I actually got those part numbers and info from Ken at Powertrax. I used their web site to submit an inquiry regarding the part numbers for a No-Slip for the front and back. I even talked with Ken on the phone yesterday to ask him more about the front application. He said it was as easy to install as the rear!?!? I'll call Ken again with this info, and remind him I'm talking about a 98+ 4x4 with the Borg Warner TOD transfer case. Maybe he misunderstood me the other day. I'll get back to everyone...

Hey eveyone,
Check out this website http://162.74.99.105/news/StoryIdeas/hydra-lok.htm . I has a write up about Dana's Hydra-Lok LS Diff. I called the number listed at the bottom of the write up and I'm waiting for a call back. This diff sounds like a pretty good solution. I also talked with Ron at Off Road Warehouse (858-565-7792) about solutions for the front diff on our Explorers. He said ARB makes an air locker for it. His catalog showed a part number for a '98 Explorer. The part number is RD39. I'm gonna check it out, and see what ARB has to say...

[Edited by mav on 01-19-2001 at 05:00 PM]

Are you sure ARB works?

Just to let you guys know, the RD39 ARB is for a Non C-clip Dana 35. Hasn't it been said that the Dana 35 ARB will not fit in our front diffs? Cany anybody confirm about the RD39? Also, has anybody noticed that a feature truck on this website, Todd Curtis's 1998 Explorer Sport, seems to have an ARB in the front diff. Does anybody know his email or can they contact him? Thanks. I hope to hear from everybody soon. A front ARB in my 1998 Eddie Bauer would be great. I almost got stuck in NY snow last week.

Mav, I know I'm anticipating Dana, Powertrax' and ARB's replies; let us know what happens! Thanks...

Petech, according to what I read in the past posts, Todd Curtis' ARB front is a typo; i think his rig has an open front. That typo got me quite exicited too before it turned into disappointment..., sigh. Someone please fix the typo!!! :)

I've got some good news and some bad news for everyone. I've spent the last couple of days talking with people at Detroit, ARB, Powertrax, Randy's Ring and Pinion, Ford, 4 Wheel Parts, etc. Here what I've found out so far. Yes, it is a Dana 35 up front. I called Dana (419-866-3955) with my Bill of Materials # (610642 4). They looked it up on the computer and it is a Dana 35 standard rotation (not reverse!). The head tech at Northside Ford told me he has worked on one before, and the casing is different than a true Dana 35. The guy at Detroit said they've tried it but it doesn't work. Ken at Powertrax said they've never done one on the front of an 95+ Explorer. The last guy I talked to was Paul (ext. 532) at Randy's Ring and Pinion (800-347-1188). He knew his stuff! He told me he knew that the new Explorers didn't have true Dana 35's, but he had heard of customers having an ARB up front!?!? He put me on hold, and actually called the head install tech at ARB. The tech told him it's possible, but there are some things to watch out for... I'm gonna call him later today and he will have all the info I need to do the install. If so, I'm gonna have him next day me all the parts I need. I'll spend Friday doing the install, so hopefully I'll have a working locker up front when I meet up with all the Texans at the Slabs this weekend! Wish me luck... :)

I just got off the phone with Paul. He was talking with the guys over at ARB. Good news and bad news again... :banghead: The tech at ARB misunderstood Paul yesterday. The ARB will work in the front of a 91-94 Explorer with an additional spacer on the ring gear side. So the bad news is that the 95+ Explorer differential casing is different enough for the ARB to not fit properly. Everyone already knew that... :frustrate The good news is that ARB (Australia) is, as we speak, working on a bolt-in application for our truck. So, what we need to do is get as much interest as possible and email ARB (USA and Australia) to let them know they have a viable market waiting for their product. Paul said it sounds like they will have something in the next three months or so...

sales@arb.com.au
sales@arbusa.com

Thanks for the info, mav!! Sounds promising. So we might have a chance to have an ARB front after all. Although I was hoping to have a LSD option for the front..., oh, well.

Thanks again!

Hey everyone,
Below is the email Tim at ARB just sent me. Everyone on this forum with a 95+ Explorer that wants an ARB for our frontend, needs to email ARB at the two email address I posted above. If we show them we're interested, our application will become more of a priority. Also, I heard that the Durangos and Dakotas use this hybrid Dana 35 front end. Can anyone confirm this? If this is true and we can find some Durango/Dakota owners that are interested, then we might be able to light a fire under ARB! :)

----- Original Message -----
To: <wulmer@satx.rr.com>
Sent: Thursday, January 25, 2001 5:52 PM
Subject: RE: ARB...

Wes,

Unfortunately Paul was wrong on the time frame. We'll probably know when they will build the '95+ Explorer Air Lockers in about 3 months. The diff should be fairly easy to build, it seems to be a cross between the Dana 30 and a Dana 35, so we can use some off the shelf castings and parts to build. The biggest problem is time, we have so many projects on the drawing board at this time, we are not sure when or if we will start on the Explorer front.
You are doing the right thing in drumming up support for the unit. If we get flooded with phone calls and emails from many different interested customers, things will move along faster, we are a typical company business-wise and will always push highly requested items through the development process faster.

There, the deed is done; I sent an e-mail supporting ARB's R&D. I hope enough people are demanding this product...

Well I sent out my email asking them to make it.
Come on guys, I know ARB's aren't cheap, but they are good, and this might be the only locker for us for a long time.

Okay, I just sent them an e-mail too. Come on guys let's get them e-mails out!

P.s. Thanks mav. I know we all appreciate your leg-work!

I called a friend and he found 5 differt lockers and L/S for my front diff. the cost was from $235 to $400 and a guy would install it for $150 if I pulled the diff. and reinstall it, but I gess I will wait for someone elce to be the frist. I will keep asking around and maybe find someone that has done one and made it work on 95+ Explorers.
A front locker is on my up grade list.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey 95 go off road,
You can call any offroad shop and ask them if they have any lockers or LS for the front end of a 95+ Exploder. They will look in their catalog and tell you that you have a Dana 35 up front and that they have several products for your application. You can even call Dana with your Bill of Materials #, and they'll tell you you've got a Dana 35. The problem is that it's not a true Dana 35. The differential housing is a different size and shape. It's a hybrid Dana 35/30. No one as of yet makes a locker or LS for our truck. ARB is working on one, but we need to email them to let them know we're interested! You need to read some of my earlier replies. It gives the email addresses for ARB, phone number, who I contacted etc... Email ARB if you really are interested in a locker for our Exploders! :)

P.S. Thanks Cameron. By the way, nice Exploder! Here's a link to a pic of my Exploder...
The Mighty Exploder

[Edited by mav on 01-26-2001 at 10:48 PM]

Back