Front diffy leak....is this pretty common? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Front diffy leak....is this pretty common?

01EB5.0

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Allendale, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Eddie Bauer V-8 AWD
Well, As this is my second Explorer, I am starting to see things pop up in this truck that were similar of the old 95. It is kind of a bummer stuff is already going bad at 62K on this new truck. Anyway who else has had the front diffy leak at the driveshaft seal? my 95 did it at 105K and now this one at 62K. the 95 had a reason to leak....i offroaded it in sand more often then not, plus it had over 100K. This new truck has not been offroad to speak of (once in mud, twice in snow) but it is already leaking the front diffy fluid. Does anyoen else have this problem or is it just my trucks?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had my front and rear pinion seals start leaking at 32K on my '97

Yup, both my diffs are leaking @ the pinion seal. same thing happened on my 96, its a pretty common problem.

my front diffy leaks also...is it something to be really concerned with or no

Front does on mine too. But 95% of the time it doesn't even turn so I'm not to concerned with it

It's not a real big deal, as long as it isnt leaking excessively.

Originally posted by IAmTodd
Front does on mine too. But 95% of the time it doesn't even turn so I'm not to concerned with it
Your front diff is always turning as long as the truck is moving.

Yeah mine is AWD so i know for sure it is always moving. It has left about 8 or 10 oil spots on the driveway now..i am taking it on a 3,000 mile vacation in a week so maybe I'll bring it to ford so they can get their hands dirty for me.

The '95 and '96 have a 2WD mode, they have vaccume actuators or what-have-you on the front diffy i thought

mine leaks too... just a tiny bit. only enough to have moistened that area.

Originally posted by Yomie
The '95 and '96 have a 2WD mode, they have vaccume actuators or what-have-you on the front diffy i thought

From what i understand only one axle shaft is disengaged so while the gears arent spinning the spider gears will still be turning.

ahh makes sence

Originally posted by Doug
From what i understand only one axle shaft is disengaged so while the gears arent spinning the spider gears will still be turning.

Thats true, never thought of that!(I still don't care, as long as there is no puddle I'm not gonna worry about it)

Originally posted by IAmTodd
(I still don't care, as long as there is no puddle I'm not gonna worry about it)

Thats how i felt at first, Let the time pass, it will start throwing axle lube all over your drivers side t-bar, the tranny, and everything else under there.

Is it very difficult to replace the seal then? I'll prolly have to eventually do it

Originally posted by Yomie
Thats how i felt at first, Let the time pass, it will start throwing axle lube all over your drivers side t-bar, the tranny, and everything else under there.

Haha, on the V-8 ford has a header pipe running near this seal so not only is thge oil all on the underside of the truck, it also gives my truck a nice burning smell once it hits the exhaust.

Are your guys front diffs leaving noticable drips on the ground underneath?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No drips, just some residue on the diff.

Back