WTF is this? Came from tranny pan! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

WTF is this? Came from tranny pan!

section525

sextion525
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Red Bluff, Ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
1975 Ford Bronco 4x4
WTF is this?! It was in my tranny pan!

Attachments

• tranny.jpg
    tranny.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 905

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did some one **** with your car!!

THat looks like a giant sperm!!

J/k don't know But when ever things fall out of the engine it's not good!! :eek:

Was that in the new truck or old truck?

Looks like a spring loaded valve of some sort. Was your tranny misbehaving. My gues is it is out of the valve block. Or have you had a rebuilt and they left it in the pan. (had a truck engine sump off once and found a teacup in the sump!!!!).

New! Now I'm waiting to find out what it is and where it goes so I can test drive the beast! It doesnt look like its broken or anything.. and I cant see any place where it looks like it would go.

I was thinking it might have been the top part of the dipstick and it slid down the tube while the truck was on fire (ha), but theres no hole for the stick..

I just installed this tranny (sort of). I've never even driven it.

Howard.. you should click on my "96 v8 to 99 v8 awd conversion" link in my sig! :D

You can do all that and you don't know what that part is well what can I say. Fitting any part that is suspect is a recipe for disaster. Is that an iceberg noooooooooo.:D :D

That has been on here before, it is something that all Explorer transmissions have inside until taken apart for the first trime. It plugs the fill hole when Ford tested it at the factory or something.....I know someone knows around here....

And they send them out with that floating in the pan. No wonder they pack up early. I'll have to drop mine and see. You learn something new every day. Thanks crankie:smoke:

Whoa.. so you're saying I dont need it?? And my tranny is not going to explode?

Discard the plastic plunger that may be floating in ... STEP #6: While the transmission and torque converter ... from the original '94-'95 4R70W transmission

I found that while searching in Yahoo. That was in the description of the page, but the site wouldn't load.

I'm stunned. I'll bet they realy do take them out every time......... Just sell them a new one when it blows. To just push it in has got to be the craziest thing I've ever heard of. Keep all parts clean and free from dirt or other foreign parts!!!! Come on guys Ford there has to be a better way. Built tough my a$$$$. Designed by humans built by monkeys. Sorry but I just can't help it. It is just so unbelievable that I'm sure it's true. I appologise to you section525 I had no idea that it was meant to be there. (removed on install of course as per instructions)

ford left them in there to deal with warranty issues on the tranny. in other words, if someone has 60k miles or whatever on their tranny and try an get a new one under warranty, and claim it has been serviced w/filter changed, ford could prove them wrong and make them pay for a new tranny. of course, that is if the ford mechanic even knows what it is...

Hmmm, must mean you only have 1,400 miles on your tranny. !!!???

That plug is there from the factory assembly plant. It plugs the dipstick tube hole, so when it is time to install the tube they can just "shove" the dipstick tube in and push the plug in. Normal in all 4R70W transmissions because the tube is one piece and goes dierectly into a hole on the trans.

Back