• Register Today It's free!

'00 XLT Sport AWD questions...

Andrewgh88

Reaction score
City, State
Dallas Texas USA
Year, Model & Trim Level
ex- '99 Mountainer V8 AWD
I'm considering the purchase of a 2000 XLT Sport AWD V8. It has 24k and they want $20k for it. Good price?

It has:
Sport Group
Leather
Sunroof
Mach
V8/AWD
CD changer
auto-dimming mirror.

No side airbags, skid plates, or reverse sensing. It's in great shape.

How do I tell if it has the load leveling suspension or the limited slip rear diff?

Also, this is a silly question, but the dealership has it marked as a 2WD. I looked underneath and it clearly has a transfer case. Should be an AWD, right? Is there a way to confirm this, or is the t-case enough? I looked under a 2WD V8 '99 and it had no transfer case. I searched here on the forum and it doesn't look like there is a way to tell from the VIN.

thanks in advance for the answers.

I'm also looking at a '01 Mountaineer, V8, AWD, sunroof, cloth, $23k, 22,000 miles. Which one would ya'll recommend? Both are extremely clean.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well first off, the sport (the sport is the 2 door version of the X) was never built with a V8 and AWD, you should look under the hood and see if it has the big 5.0 on the top of the intake manifold, also to see if its not 2wd the easiest way is to look for a front drive shaft, thats easier to see than a t-case in my opinion...

But as for which one to go for, hire a local diagnostic service to check them both out and tell you what they need now or potentially in the near future, or if you know enough about cars then get which ever one you like better and is in better shap...

he is talking about the sport package on the xlt.
painted bumpers, fender flares, two-tone paint, 16" rims and tires.

that price sounds o.k., but haggle w/ them. and don't let them know its awd.

i love mine. you can haul a$$ in the rain

that seems like a good deal.. i just bought my 2000 xlt without sports package, v8, leather, no mach, with 15k thats certified until 2006 for 19900... go for it.. i wanted one with the sports package.. but couldnt find a good deal like mine.. good luck

I have a 2000 Sport 4X4 , it has " automatic 4WD "
I have had a few problems but easily fixed under warrenty. Other wise I am very happy with the vehicle. Gets lousy gas millage though not the worst but not the best. When I got mine it had 16k mi. on it and I got it for $17,500.00
If that helps any.

andrewgh88

first of all make sure it does not have excessive vibration between 70 to 80 mph. if it shakes in the seat and is very noticeable in the rearview mirror, RUN!

i had to trade one in after 3 months because of this and took a royal butt-screwing when i traded. ford was useless, in this experience.

also, that is too much money. i traded my '00 sport 4 door, leather,moonroof,monochromatic mirror, NEW $700 michelin tires, 22,500 miles, i only got $15,000 acv.

be very certain, insist you contact original owner. mine looked awesome but was a serious POS!

peter

thanks for the responses. I'm headed out in 30 seconds to go look at it.

It is a sports package XLT (4-door). Not the Sport. Sorry if I didn't make that clear.

I'll see about that 70-80 shimmy... what is it a sign of? I had a Mountaineer in '99, great SUV, but now I need a second vehicle.

thanks
andrew

Well, you had the '99 Mounty with the AWD, so go ahead and floor the '00 XLT Sport and see if that doesn't spin the tires. If it does, then you have the 2WD.
Do it on paved, with no gravel surfaces.:D

Good luck with your shopping,
Shane

Back