newbie V8 AWD question

Techmonster

Reaction score
City, State
St. Cloud, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Limited
Just purchased a 97 V8 AWD E.B.

One question i have is there seems to be a slight wine coming from the front end at lower speeds when driving slow. I'm thinking this is the AWD feature cus the front axel is always spinning. Any truth to this...

2nd question is I am going to be changing some fluids on it(i.e. transfer case fluid and front axel fluid) Are these pretty difficult to do on the V8's? I am pretty novice when it comes to doing my own work...brakes i can do, fan belts, and other stuff like that, but this looks kinda big so far.

What do you fill the front axel with and the transfer case. Someone told me ATF in the transfer case? 75/140 gear lube in the front axel.
Thanks for all the help

I own a 98 AWD 5.0

I too get the whine that you refer to. It reminds me of the noise you get while flying in an airplane, kind of a suttle hum. Its been like that since I bought it (15k miles ago.) When you change the tranny fluid, use Mercon 5- not anything else. I changed all my fluids, and still have the hum. I wouldnt worry about it, like you said, its probably just the awd mechanicals.

I haven't changed the front axel fluid but I have changed the transfer case fluid. That is really easy. I had to remove a brace plate that attached with four bolts and nut plates, which was easy, to access the drain bolts. I would recommend making sure the vehicle is at least a bit warm so that the fluid will flow out easily, just like oil.
Be ready for the fluid to come out in a hurry when you take out the bottom plug! There is only about 1.3 quarts of fluid and mine was in poor shape. The whining sound is normal but I was getting some rubbing type noises when hot before I changed the fluid, but no bad sounds since. When re-filling, just put in the bottom plug and fill until the level reaches the upper hole.
BTW, watch out on the front axle fluid. Many of these V8 models had the towing package and require synthetic fluid. There will be a metal tag on the diff if this is true on yours.

I get whining noises too. But I think my front and rear gears were put in on a friday at 4:59pm. They are both not setup wear pattern wise and so they whine like crazy.

Back