01 expl-sport loud knocking in rear over bumps | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

01 expl-sport loud knocking in rear over bumps

Body Mount Bushing From Ford Finally Arrived

I have had a driver-side rear body mount bushing on back order from Ford since mid-June and it finally arrived yesterday. I was told that a bunch of parts suppliers have gone out of business in the last year and certain parts are taking forever to get. I paid $21.26 for part #1000155 and $24.23 for #1000154 for the bushings and $3.25 for the bolt (#W706534*S436) and $1.95 for the washer (#N802289*S2)--Ford dealer gave me wholesale prices, due to loooong wait on back order! Today a trusted mechanic of mine is going to attempt the install for the first time at his shop. I gave him a copy of the instructions form Skylla to use and hope he is able to get the job done without a Portapower wedge as several posts have suggested.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Body Mount Bushing Installed 0n 2001 Explorer Sport

I wanted to correct the part #s that I listed on my last post for the bolt and washer for those who may be ordering parts from Ford to replace the 2 body mount bushings in the rear of a 2001 Ford Explorer. The correct number for the bolt is N808699-S100--for both rear bushings only. #N802289-S2 is the bolt needed for the side bushings --it is several inches too short for the rear bushings.
I had given #N802289-S2 for the washer for the rear bushing. This is the washer that you use with the side bushing. I just had my driver side rear bushing replaced today. The old bolt was still in good shape, as was the round washer. It is so nice to get rid of that awful squeak. Now I am going to have the passenger side rear bushing replaced, as it was crumbling and in bad shape, but not squeaking yet like the other side.

@onthefritz Body Mount Bushings

I have a 2002 Ford Explorer Sport. My problem exactly. The bumping drives me crazy. My mechanic told me the "body mount bushings" needed to be replaced. As I understand it it is the buffer where the frame attaches to the body. He also told me that Ford had discontinued that part. He spent 3 hours on the net looking for the part...but as of yet cannot find the bushings. Does anyone out there know where to find them? I love my Ford Explorer and even though it is 8-9 years old, it has just turned over 49,000 miles and is in perfect shape (other than the bushings LOL).

Wow! Read all the comments and I keep seeing 2001 Ford Explorer Sport. Since mine is a 2002 am I in the wrong place? I see at the top of the forum "'02+Sports". Do these instructions apply to a 2002 model?

2001 to 2003 sports are the same exact truck...everything applies to yours

I dont know how to answer your prior question about the bushings because when I needed to replace my rear ones last year, my buddy at the body shop found them rather quickly and had em to me within a week

Replaced passenger side body bushing after drive side

After replacing the driver side rear bushing on my Explorer Sport, the terrible squeak on the driver side was gone, but then I had new squeak on passenger side. My mechanic thinks lifting body to replace the bushing on driver side finished off the bushing on the passenger side and caused it to start squeaking - not sure if that did it, but as soon as he finished bushing on driver side, new squeak on that side began. You may want to consider replacing both at the same time and mechanic said it would have been easier. By the way the charge was $100 labor to replace both bushings and the fuel filter. Now with the new passenger side bushing replaced, the squeaks from bad bushings are gone. However, my mechanic showed me where the other 4 body bushings (2 on each side and 2 up front) crumble just by touching them, so it looks like more bushings will have to be installed in the future if I don't sell it first. Luckily there are no apparent squeaks coming from those old bushings yet. As I mentioned previously, my bushings were on back order by my Ford dealer for about 3 months (6/10-9/10). Surely, Ford had some vendors still making these bushings, since it appears to be a common problem that causes an awfully annoying squeak which is hard to ignore.

Thanks. I think that mechanic is an idiot. Clearly, posters here are finding the parts. Since I don't have the tools to repair this problem, I'll be paying a visit to the dealership. I appreciate the information (very detailed and informative). Being female, I just like to be a little informed about my problem so I won't get taken advantage of. Oh, and if I did have the resources to repair this, I would. I'm not skerred!

big bang in the rear

I have the same thing and i'm thinking it's the body bushings. There between the frame and the body

Help ! I just checked Ford website and it looks like the price of the Body Mount Bushings has doubled in price from the prices listed earlier in this thread. Almost $100 for just one set of rear bushings (1 upper & 1 lower). I need to change almost all, if not all 10 sets! It's looking like over $1,000 for just the bushings and not including any wahers, bolts, sleeves, etc. I may need.

I know some have mentioned the Daystar Kit, but has anyone actaully used the Daystar Kit on their '01 Sport? Daystar site says for 1991 - 1999 years only. Any suggestions on where to buy comatible bushings is greatly apprecited......with all the other repairs, I just can't afford $1,000 for bushings alone. Thank you for any information !

This thread is a wealth of information. With ~86k on my '01 Sport I can tell this definitely needs to be done...

Take your time getting the bolts out. The threads are in the body of the lower bushing part, and not very strong. Spray them heavily with penetrant before starting.

Be careful getting the each bolt out. If it will turn out, then that's the end of that one bushing, the two parts can be pried out. If any bolt spins, the only solution will be to cut it apart, avoid that if you can help it.

FYI, the front two bushings(one bolt and two halves each) are unique. The rear two are unique, and the middle six are all the same. So there are three different bolts and three different bushing pairs.

You can see eight of the ten body mounts in this picture.

Attachments

• Projectthread039.JPG
    Projectthread039.JPG
    82.9 KB · Views: 776

its ur body bushings between frame and body

Ok, So Ive searched through thread after thread looking to find a similar solution or problem to my extremely annoying knocking sound that I cannot find for the life of me. Sounds like the body is coming off the frame, but hitting the frame with a solid knock. I know its on the passenger rear side. Ive ridden in the back while a friend drove over bumps in hopes to locate the problem. I put in new rear shocks knowing they were bad but again, hoping to resolve this knocking problem as well. In the process of changing the shocks, I noticed the leaf springs front attachment point to the frame had a bolt missing. What to me would make sense as to what the sound is like I added a new bolt. This did not fix the problem. I also noticed the muffler mount absorber thing, moves around a lot so we stuck a towel in between the frame and muffler hoping it might be hitting the frame. The mount doest have a crack in the rubber absorber. Anyone else have experience with locating this sound and do you have a solution for a fix? Ive checked bolts and have not had success with this. Please advise and thanks in advance for any responses. Its almost as if the body is knocking up and down on the frame. I have somewhat a similar instance in the front passenger side like the dashboard is coming off hitting down...

Fritz

Look at LMC truck Page 25 of their 2011 summer edition catalog

The rear mounts on my 2001 Eplorer Sprot were toast and I bought the Daystar Kit from 4 WheelParts (Daystar KF04009BK Body Cab Mount Black). Even though it is for 1998 and below years the rear mounts fits my 2001 perfectly. I don't know about the rest of the mounts yet but I will post when I tackle the other 8 locations. Though the kit does come with the same number of different bushings as the 2001 Ford Explorer breakdown shows so I think it might work. You do have to save the metal pieces from the old bushings. Took me about 2 hours, mainly because I couldn't figure out how to get the spare tire down. I'll give a short tour of what I did.
1. Take off spare tire
2. Take off rear bumper (2 bolts on each side)
3. take off plastic cover that covers the head off the bushing bolts (mine were painted blue). It is right above the bumper @ the back of the trunk area. It sits on top of the carpet.
4. When you remove the bumper there is a plastic piece held on by 5 plastic screws that when you take it off lets you see a side profile of the rear bushings.
5.To get the bushings off i peeled/removed the rubber from the lower bushing to expose the metal shaft. than tightened some vise grips around it so that when I turn the bolt the vice grips will lock against the bottom of the car. You will need a 18mm socket and I recommend using a breaker bar.
6. Once the bolt is out thread the bolt back in a 1/4 of an inch and tap it with a hammer to separate the two bushings.
7. To get the top bushing out you need to raise the body of the explorer off of the frame. Other people used a jack, which you can find the procedure in this thread or others. I chose a different method. When you remove the plastic peace that was covered by the bumper you can see there is a gap between the body and frame. It needs to be lifted about 4" to get the top bushings out. I used 2x4's that I cut at angles/ wedges and hammered them in between the body and frame. Switch between two different pieces of wood, hammer one in a few times then the other. I always put some blocks in the space too so that if the wood broke it would land on the solid blocks. I raised it up far enough that the bushings came out no problem I felt this was safer than getting under the car with the jack.

Moral of the story, whole Daystar Kit cost $140. Just the rear mounts from Ford would have cost me $180.

OK I just installed all of the other mounts from the Daystar Kit. Though they are not an exact replica to the Ford Bushings they do all work. You have to reuse the bolts and the metal mounts that are on the inside of the Ford bushing. There is one type of bushing from the Daystar kit that doesn't match the Ford one. It is the Top bushing 2nd set from the rear and the top bushing from the set in-front of the passenger and driver seats. The top Ford bushing is one piece, large with a oval bump on the end (bad description). The Daystar bushing is large but where the oval bump should be is a grooved out area. In the Daystar kit the oval bump is a separate piece that needs to be set in the groove. All in all it works fine. $150 bucks and 6 hours of my Labor Day, I say beats the hell out of taking it to the Ford dealership. Make sure you you use some type of thread-locker on the bolts and come back after a few hours of driving and re-tighten everything. Rent or borrow a port-a-power if you can, it will make the job a lot easier.

ya, my explorer did the same thing. i couldnt figure out where it was coming from either. when i checked underneath my bodymounts were junk. for a temporary fix i placed a 2x4- no joke. between the mount and body. the noise is stopped so far.

I replaced the two rear bushings about 17 months ago with Ford bushings and the bad squeak thankfully went away. Now the second set of bushings from the front (under driver and passenger's feet) are making a terrible popping sound when turning right or turning in a circle. These bushings have the same Ford part #'s (1L5Z-1000155-CA and 1L5Z-1000154-CA) as the rear bushings that I replaced; however, the price has gone up about $100 for both sides. I plan to buy the Daystar bushing kit for about $150 from 4 Wheel Parts and try to get someone to just replace the offending noisy bushings and deal with the others later. Has anyone been able to replace just one set of the side bushings, like I replaced just the rear bushings? 4 Wheel Parts will charge $570 labor to replace all of the bushings. I told them I had already replaced the rear bushings and the front bushings appear to be made of a different material and appear to be in fine shape, but the rest of bushings are either completely gone or almost gone - 103,000 miles on our Explorer Sport. They said they may be able to reduce the labor cost some, but they feel it is probably a good idea to just replace the new Ford bushings in rear with Daystar bushings. Does that make sense? A body shop will charge $40 labor per hour to replace the bushings, but has never done the repair. Unforturnately, my son and I do not have the skills nor the tools to attempt the repair.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If my measurements are correct then the body bushings from a '96 explorer will fit on an '01 sport. As long as I can get them off of the 96 (they are in excellent shape btw) then i'll guinea pig this for everyone else with this issue. I'll update with findings tomorrow after the junkyard run.

Back