'01 Factory flip cover lock tension clip & rubber cap? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'01 Factory flip cover lock tension clip & rubber cap?

heffe2001

Reaction score
City, State
Conover, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer Sport Trac
I bought a 2001 Sport Trac a couple weeks ago, which had a factory flip cover on the bed. The locks that were on the cover weren't keyed the same as the car (I'm assuming it was from another car, and either the previous owner, or the dealer put it on there, but didn't get the locks changed). I had the locks re-keyed to the existing keys, but once I snapped it all back together, the cables appeared to be damaged (woudln't pull, even though the key moved fine, cables were indeed broken inside). I had noticed that the rear lock didn't have the spring-clip on the lock mechanism when I pulled it out (it was just stuck in there, you could push it out with your hand easily). I got my replacement cable mechanisms in today, which I thought also came with the locks/clips/etc, but only received the cable assemblies themselves, no locks/clips. I'm still needing a spring clip for the rear lock (it works, just moves up and down a bit, making it not so secure), as well as one of the rubber inserts to keep water out. Anybody know where to get those parts, or have the part #'s for them from a dealer? The cover works fine now (locks, unlocks, etc), just need those couple bits and I'm good..

Any help would be appreciated...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nobody had to replace those metal spring clips that hold the locks in place before? I'd hate to have to buy the entire lock mechanism just to get one of those clips :(. Might have to see what I can cobble together.

As for the rubber stopper that goes over the keylocks, does anybody have a part number for those, or even better if anybody had a parts list for the entire cover that would be great :D.

Could the spring clips be the same as the clips on the door key way? If so Pick a Part/ U Pull/ ECT.... price of admission. The rubber caps I would guess are stealer only.

Nobody had to replace those metal spring clips that hold the locks in place before? I'd hate to have to buy the entire lock mechanism just to get one of those clips :(. Might have to see what I can cobble together.

As for the rubber stopper that goes over the keylocks, does anybody have a part number for those, or even better if anybody had a parts list for the entire cover that would be great :D.

i was just looking for these at the dealler $62 for the rubber stopper thing PN 402A36 and $67 for the cable assy PN 286B60

i was just looking for these at the dealler $62 for the rubber stopper thing PN 402A36 and $67 for the cable assy PN 286B60
You can get those cables from Amazon btw, the part #'s are:

Ford Cable Assembly #1L5Z-99286B60-AB (front by glass) ($42.30)
Ford Cable Assembly #1L5Z-99286B61-AA (rear by tailgate) ($56.33)

Like I mentioned above tho, they don't come with the locks or the spring-clips.

Used your part of the # for the rubber stopper, and it looks like the full part # is 1L5Z-99402A36-AA, which I found on Amazon for $61.66, not much different from the dealer. I'll keep an eye out for the stopper cheaper somewhere, if I can't find it soon tho I may break down and get the dealer part...

i know this is an old thread and sorry to reopen it, but i have the same issue, found a guide to repalce the cable assembly but also need the clips that keep the lock in place wondered if anyone found any were to get them or knows the part number?

Cheers

Go to fordparts.com
They list the part for a 2003 Sport Trac as:

RETAINER - LOCK CYLINDER
Part #: 43629

It's $8.

Gen1TonneauPartsIllustration.jpg

3L2Z-9943629-AA is the complete part number

Back