• Register Today It's free!

01 Ranger AC Compressor

jc2

Reaction score
City, State
KC Mo
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Ranger Supercab 4x4
I'm sure that all of us are familiar with the clicking sound of the ac compressor kicking in when the temp knob is turned to the cold setting and ac/max ac mode is selected. My question is I still hear the compressor clicking on/off when the selector knob is turned to any of the right side knob selections,(bi-level,floor vent, defrost/floor vent or defrost mode. I kind of understand it clicking on when using any selection where defrost is involved but don't understand why the compressor would be activating when in bi-level or floor mode. It doesn't seem to do this if u move the temp knob from cold to warmer. Does this sound like normal operation?????????
:(

The air conditioner is suppose to be activated in all positions except floor and vent from the dash. I don't understand why it is activated in the bi-level position but it is. If your air conditioner is activated in the floor or dash vent positions, there is probably something wrong.

A/C cycling

The A/C is designed this way for a couple of reasons. It dehumidifies the air to help prevent fogging of windows in positions other than defrost. It also assures that the compressor gets enough excersize during off season to keep the shaft seal in good shape.

It also assures that the compressor gets enough excersize during off season to keep the shaft seal in good shape.
True^^^.

I have a dash switch on mine so I can disable the compressor completely if I choose. However, I make sure that I enable compressor operation weekly at a minimum. It may not run every time due to low ambient temps but this should be enough to keep the shaft and seal lubricated.

Ford ensures that the system gets what it needs without any intervention by the driver - by enabling compressor operation in most of the HVAC modes.

AC compressor operation allowed:
Max AC
AC
Vent/Floor
Floor/Defrost
Defrost

AC compressor operation not allowed:
Vent only
Floor only
Off

Back