Looking at buying 01 Ranger. Advice? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Looking at buying 01 Ranger. Advice?

BamakoJon

Reaction score
City, State
Birmingham, AL
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Ford Explorer, XLT
Callsign
KI5DGM
So I'm looking at buying a 2001 Ranger Edge Plus SuperCab 4.0 4WD with a stepside bed and 167,000 miles on it. I went to look at it this evening, and it seems pretty good apart from a few minor things that I would want to replace (like the cruise control buttons). My main concern is the SOHC 4.0 that it's got in it. I like the power, but I've heard very mixed reviews about their reliability. The guy is willing to sell to me for $2000, and I don't have a ton of extra money to play with, so I'd like to not have to replace an engine anytime soon. It sounded good when I got to run it, and didn't have a whole lot of oil and grime on the bottom. It was throwing a P0405 code, but that doesn't bother me too much as I can replace the EGR sensor fairly cheaply/easily myself.

The transmission and transfer case felt good, so I'm not worried about them. Any thoughts? I need to make a final decisions pretty soon.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The 01 SOHC engine with regular maintenance and oil changes can see well over 250K miles
How did the oil look?
Is this a stick or automatic?

The EGR code being present does not point to stellar maintenance
$2000 seems like a decent price depending on the condition of the truck and tires

it's an automatic. The oil looked pretty good. I figure it'll need some work, but similar trucks in my area are selling for about double the $2000, so I think I'm gonna do go for it. I'll post some pictures when I have it :)

I'll definitely be sure to change the oil with synthetic and get a good filter when I get it home. The tires are pretty good as well.

SOHC engine NEEDS full synthetic and should be changed 3000-5000 mile intervals. I use Motorcraft 820s filter only
Consider changing timing chain tensioners, especially if there is ANY rattle noise at cold start. Ford brand tensioners ONLY
Check condition of trans fluid and consider a full flush with new filter

does putting a heavier weight oil like 10w30 ever help them? Or should I be sure to only put 5w30? I'm just not familiar with this engine... from what I've read it sure is a whole lot pickier than the 4.0 OHV! I wish this truck had one of those. Do you know how hard it is to swap one into a ranger? I can't imagine it would be that difficult, as far as engine swaps go anyway...

Back