01 Sport Trac Wipers AND 4x4 Not Working! | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

01 Sport Trac Wipers AND 4x4 Not Working!

Well, good and bad news. Good news is I Found the right part. Bad news, I put in and still nothing! No 4x4 and no wipers or washer fluid spray! Now, after checking over the fuse box the fuse for the GEM module is fine and for the 4x4 module as well. But, the description of the GEM fuse says "radio, moonroof relay, power window relay, power down back window" which all work fine! The 4x4 lights on the dash don't even light up when I turn on the car and all the dash lights light up. I'm guessing the only thing it can be now is the 4x4 module in the passenger kick panel. But that doesn't explain the wipers not working?! Safe to say I'm confused now! Any help or suggestions is appreciated!

Thanks!

Zach

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You were right Steve, doesn't look like the GEM plays a part in the 4x4! Shoot!

Did you check for power to the 4x4 module as described in the "B" section of the diagnostics I sent you? Should have 12v on the Orange and Dark Green/Light green wires with the ignition switch in the "Run" position.
Check fuses?
F1.13 under hood box, F2.9,F2.10,F2.11,F2.13 & F2.35 under dash?

Wiper fuses F2.12 & F2.16 under dash, C1001,C1004 breakers in the under hood box?

Turn on the wipers and tilt your steering column up and down ...... any difference? Most problems related to the column wiring are lighting but it's possible the wiper plug may be an issue too.

Wipers are controlled by the GEM so if you changed it and they don't work then you have fuse, wiring (connector) or multifunction switch problems.

Well, after becoming super busy and not having any time to look further into the 4x4 issue, I was changing my oil today and noticed wires were cut from my front transfer case. Something had to be stolen before I purchased this car! Any ideas what it could be that I'm missing now? There are 3 wires together cut and one a little lower to the left alone that is also cut. Any ideas will be helpful!

Ok I think I found the issue. Next to the transfer case motor/wires, there are some other wires right under the driveshaft ON the transfer case. Three wires together and one lone wire to the left of that bunch are all cut. Just need to know where or what they go to! Looks like a part was stolen right before I bought the truck. I just don't know what part. The transfer case motor and all the wires are all intact I believe. Just confused as to where these wires go! Thanks for your help/suggestions.

Looks like an Output Shaft speed sensor is broken off in the case. BUT, without looking at mine I'll have to stop there. I was thinking the TSS & OSS were on the transmission case. Does it appear the transfer case has been changed? Is there a tag under one of the t-case bolts? Is there a white plastic label on the case?

Jerry, or one of you guys post a pic of the back of your t-cases? I have pics of the greasy side of my 4x2 but not the t-case on my 4x4.

Beats me? Here's mine.

IMG_3623.jpg

Looks just like mine.

Transfercasesm.jpg

Zach, from the photos you sent me it appears someone has swapped in a model 4405 t-case when you should have a 1354. I'm having that verified as now. If that is the case then the cheapest thing may be to find a 1354 and put it back like it's supposed to be.

Zackstransfercase.jpg

We can post up on the transmission forum and see if there is an alternative, once this is verified.

EDIT: From my super partsman Roger: OK. The transfer case he has now is for a 2000-2001 Explorer/Mountaineer. The one he should have is 1L54-7A195-AC. Looks like someone swapped the t-case.

oh wow! Thanks! But the real question now is can I get this transfer case to work correctly? Or will I have to swap to the original TC in order to have 4x4 again?

its posible that the pins are not matching in the connector and can be moved to work.

i know there is some one with a ton of wire schematics that might have the pig tail connections so you can figure out the body side vs. transfer case side

Back