'02 4x4 issue; Have done all I know to do. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'02 4x4 issue; Have done all I know to do.

tlc180

Reaction score
City, State
McCool, MS
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT
Posted this in another forum. Looked around and decided this might be the more appropriate forum.

I recently purchased a 2002 Ford Explorer XLT 4x4. Have been having problems with the 4x4 since I got it home. I know this has been discussed at length on this forum; however, I have pretty much replaced all parts mentioned in other threads and I am still having the same problem. Fortunately, the dealer from which I bought the Explorer has been replacing the parts at no cost to me. Just got it home from the third trip back to dealer and problem persist. Here is what is going on. Apologize in advance for the length.

Got it home after purchase. 4x4 not responsive. No lights nothing. Drove to work the next day and noticed a noise coming from front left hub. Noise would come in and out as I drove. Took it back to dealer.

At this time mechanic at dealership replaced shift module in glove box. Also noticed that shift motor was making a noise when attempting to shift into 4x. Ordered new shift motor and installed that. Everything seemed to work fine.

Drove Explorer for the whole next day. Day after it began to make the same noise from the front left. Took it back to the dealer and they kept it for about a week. Determined it was a problem with the transfer case. Ordered a rebuilt transfer case and installed. Mechanic drove Explorer home and back to dealership the next day. Everything worked fine. Went and picked up Explorer that afternoon.

Here's the good part. Got explorer home and decided to test 4x4. Put in neutral... pressed break... pushed four low... Nothing.

At this time I pulled the two 20 amp fuses that control the 4x4. I put the same two fuses back in their position. The fuses were fine. The 4x4 worked. I could hear the click by the module and could feel it engage in both low and high. I then cut the engine off. Waited for about thirty minutes and went back to try 4x4 again. I noticed that since I took the fuses out and put them back in that both the 4x4 low and 4x4 high indicator lights in dash lit up when I turned ignition. Previously just the 4x4 low light had come on with ignition. This time the 4x4 low would not engage and I noticed that the 4x4 high light would come on for a few seconds then go off (without me pressing anything). It repeated this for a few minutes.

Does anyone have any idea what could possibly be my problem. I have replaced shift module, shift motor, and transfer case. What else could this possibly be. Not sure what the deal with the fuse is either. Seems like something may be resetting when I take the fuses out and put them back in.

You mentioned several times the noise from the left front. Has anyone checked the hub/bearings? Does the ABS light come on at start-up? Does it come on at any point after start-up? ABS is input to the 4x4 module.
Inputs to the 4x4 module,late build:
4x4 switch
brake pedal position switch (BPP)
ABS control module
Digital Transmission Range (DTR) sensor
Neutral tow switch
Powertrain Control Module (PCM)
Generic Electronic Module (GEM)
and the all important GROUNDS. Check the grounds behind both the left and right kick panels.

You mentioned several times the noise from the left front. Has anyone checked the hub/bearings? Does the ABS light come on at start-up? Does it come on at any point after start-up? ABS is input to the 4x4 module.
Inputs to the 4x4 module,late build:
4x4 switch
brake pedal position switch (BPP)
ABS control module
Digital Transmission Range (DTR) sensor
Neutral tow switch
Powertrain Control Module (PCM)
Generic Electronic Module (GEM)
and the all important GROUNDS. Check the grounds behind both the left and right kick panels.
I have not noticed the ABS light when starting up. It does not come on anytime while driving. But I have not driven it very much. I will check to see if the ABS light comes on when I start up today.

I'm going to take it for a ride today and see how it does. Check for the noise from the front left and I will see what lights come on/off.

Thanks for the input.

Back