• Register Today It's free!

02 EB Strange Noise

J_Benoit

Reaction score
City, State
Ontario Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Eddie Bauer,4.6,4dr
Hello, I have searched on here for a similar problem but not having any luck.
Here goes nothing.....
I recently purchased an 02 EB 4.6 a few months ago and it's almost back to perfect running order. Ive done new tires, new shocks, new bearings and changed all fluids. Except transmission, it has 140k km's and I don't want to waste money on fluid if my problem is the tranny.
The problem is this, there is strange rattle sound coming from the bell housing area. The sound only happens after the truck is warm, and only if it's under load or at idle. If I start the truck cold and put in it drive it's quiet. Idling in drive cold isn't a issue. When the truck gets warm, and idling in drive, the sound comes alive. I notice it more when windows are down and I'm accelerating. When I get to a constant speed, the rattling dissapears?
I have checked all heat shields and all exhaust parts, nothing is touching metal.
I also noticed shifting issues when cold, engine revs higher going into 2nd gear than any other gear, but this goes away when it's warm. Shifts great when warm.
A garage suggested a torque converter, but that's going to be over a grand to replace. If that's the problem, I will change it out, however I was hoping someone on here had the same problem and figured out what it was.
I'm middle of the pack when it comes to repairs, I did the bearings and suspension, just not sure of removing a transmission!
Thanks!

It may be coming from the exhaust/catalytic converter, something loose and rattling around in there. Try to isolate where the noise is coming from. If you can, find a steel rod about 2'-3' long, rebar or the like or maybe a breaker bar. With the engine running and while you can hear the noise at idle, you can actually crouch down by the front wheel well and hold one end of the rod against the exhaust and then the bell housing and then the engine block and the other end against your ear. The sound will transmit through the rod and you can tell where it is coming from. You can also use this method to check for bad bearings in motors, alternators, etc. Of course you will be careful about not letting it touch a moving part.

Back